We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental question

Darlington, Maryland
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Car rental question

I am planning a trip to New Mexico in the fall, and am certain I will have more questions, but for now I'm wondering about car rentals. My idea is to fly into either Albuquerque or El Paso, rent a car and drive through New Mexico and fly home from the other airport. My question is how much of a premium am I likely to pay to drop the car at a different airport from the pickup and would it be cost effective or should I just plan on returning from the same airport I fly into. I have things I want to see in northern New Mexico and in the Las Cruces area. Thanks for any suggestions.

9 replies to this topic
ohio
Level Contributor
535 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: Car rental question

I would suggest comparing the prices of your options on a car rental website. I have not dropped offat a different location in New Mexico, but when I have done this in other states I am frequently surprised that the price is not greater. At times it actually was less. Go figure!

Silver City, New...
Destination Expert
for Silver City, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,313 posts
48 reviews
2. Re: Car rental question

You might check with Alamo Rental. Last year I did a one-way rental from Los Angeles to Tucson using Alamo and the total price was quite reasonable.

Darlington, Maryland
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
3. Re: Car rental question

Thanks for the suggestions. I will check out some car rental agencies and see how it goes. I generally use Hertz when I rent, but haven't gotten that far in my planning yet. I was just wondering if anyone had experience doing this and how it might affect pricing. Flying is about the same from either airport.

Silver City, New...
Destination Expert
for Silver City, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,313 posts
48 reviews
4. Re: Car rental question

I frequently use Hertz, but I think you'll find that a one-way rental will be expensive. One other point: Albuquerque is a larger airport that El Paso, which means that you should have a greater number of flights to choose from; Albuquerque is a hub for Southwest, so be sure to check the Southwest website for prices (you must go to their website-- their flights are not listed on any other website).

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for New Mexico, Albuquerque
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
135 reviews
5. Re: Car rental question

One thing you didn't mention in your post: how long are you planning to be in New Mexico? If it is two weeks or more, than certainly your best option would be round trip to Albuquerque. As Mitch indicated, our airport is bigger than El Paso with more flights in and out. And, with at least two weeks you could visit Carlsbad Caverns, White Sands, and even Silver City, as well as the northern part of the state, including Albuquerque, Santa Fe and Taos, and all the interesting places mentioned in other posts.

I checked with one of the rental agencies here and one way would be expensive, depending on arrival and departure airports. To El Paso for departure it would be more expensive, as they don't need a lot of rentals. Albuquerque would be a little cheaper as we do need more rentals at times.

Really think seriously about Mitch's suggestions. Albuquerque as your central point would be much better than El Paso.

Darlington, Maryland
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
6. Re: Car rental question

Thank you for your replies. I do appreciate them. I'm thinking I will try and stay in New Mexico for about a week.I will fly Southwest, as I have a fair number of points to use. I didn't know that Albuquerque was a larger airport, so probably if renting a car one way, it would be better to fly into El Paso and leave fro Albuquerque. But a round trip from Albuquerque is certainly doable. I would like to check out some sights in New Mexico while I'm there but the main purpose of my visit is that I'm considering a possible move to the Las Cruces area and would like to check it out to see if I like it. Any advice on Las Cruces would definitely be appreciated. Thanks again.

Gainesville, Georgia
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
7. Re: Car rental question

Be careful with Alamo! I was in Memphis TN and due to a family emergency had to drive to Atlanta GA. I was told there would be a small fee and they would let me know how in Atlanta how much. Alamo wanted $1500 for the drop off fee in addition to my car rental fee; If I wanted to drop the car in Chattanooga TN, the drop off fee could be reduced to $1000. Not worth it. Use anyone but Alamo.

Brooklyn, New York
13 posts
8. Re: Car rental question

I'm renting in El Paso, returning to Salt Lake and the 1 way drop charge is an extra $385.

Total (including the 1 way) for 12 days is $800 for a Hotwire deal midsize car w/ Dollar. The typical price I was seeing was $1000-1300. It was cheaper to rent off airport but nothing was open when my flight arrived. This is for Sept.

You can shop around and put in the different drop-off and it should quote you correctly.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
45 reviews
9. Re: Car rental question

We used Enterprise from ABQ and dropped in ELP and the entire rental was less than one bus ticket. There was a drop off fee but it was small and the car turned out to be a Texas car heading home.

Reply to: Car rental question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted