We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Live in Hoboken work in Parsippany. Help with commute route!

Hoboken, New Jersey
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Live in Hoboken work in Parsippany. Help with commute route!

Hi all,

I am currently working in Parsippany, NJ but have recently moved to Hoboken to live. I am looking if anyone can help me find an optimal after work commute route. I am originally not from NJ, and don't know the highways THAT well... and my GPS is not my best ally when it comes to finding an optimal route. The commute to work is fine because I leave super early and get to the office before 8 am ,but the way home is AWFUL.

I have only been doing this commute for a couple of days but I am convinced I need to find a new way. I took 80E to 280E (exit 17A) to 1&9 (construction!!) to 139 and then I'm in Hoboken. Does anyone have any other advice? What if I leave work later, say 6PM, will that make a difference? Which roads to avoid? ... any help is appreciated, I'm desparate!

NJ
Level Contributor
6,572 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Live in Hoboken work in Parsippany. Help with commute route!

Use Google maps.

I-80E to I-280E???

Morris County, NJ
Level Contributor
698 posts
790 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Live in Hoboken work in Parsippany. Help with commute route!

Due to the reconstruction of the I-80 bridges over 287 in Parsippany, the traffic during the rush hours will be tough for several more years. The construction started about a year and a half ago and only one of five lanes in each direction has been completed. Anyone going to the Poconos from NY on this route should also be aware of this.

Edited: 30 November 2011, 16:40
new york
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
8,456 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Live in Hoboken work in Parsippany. Help with commute route!

Hi madamsky ~ Unclear what you are doing at “exit17A.” Are you getting on the NJ Turnpike there south and then exiting to 1&9, or are you taking Newark Turnpike (7) straight to 1&9 toward the Holland tunnel?

I haven’t taken most of these roads during any evening rush in years, but one alternative you might want to try is stay on 80 to 46 to 3 and exit south to Hoboken anywhere before the Lincoln tunnel. As referred to above, this and other choices are easy to see with Google maps.

Yes, the later you leave, 6 pm or later, will make a difference, normally lessening traffic, But from now until after Christmas many mindless shoppers usually are driving in circles every evening all over. One of the few merits of January are quieter roads.

Good luck with your new residence & commute. Let us know how you eventually make out.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,365 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Live in Hoboken work in Parsippany. Help with commute route!

Have you tried the Turnpike-Rt 78-Rt 24-Rt 287-RT 80 route? A bit more round'about, but may be less congested.

5. Re: Live in Hoboken work in Parsippany. Help with commute route!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 17:17