We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parents 50th wedding anniversary

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Parents 50th wedding anniversary

I am planning their trip to Maine in August (their anniversary). I am "packaging" the trip as gift. They aren't very active, so the emphasis will be on beautiful views. Any opinions about the Lobster Festival in Rockland? I was considering a hotel stay in Boothbay Harbor because it is mid-way between Rockland for the festival and Freeport for shopping. Any recommendations for a place with fantastic views, not too stuffy-but not too loud either, with a restaurant and pool? Any opinions about Linekin Bay Resort?

Also, any other suggestions for whale watching tours? Clambakes? Any other suggestions for low exertion outings?

Since this is their 50th wedding anniversary gift from their children, I'm feeling the pressure to "make it perfect".

Thank you!

boston ma
Level Contributor
30 posts
1. Re: Parents 50th wedding anniversary

My husband and I stayed just outside Boothbay a few years back and it was delightful. It is quite a drive up the coast.

Further down the coast is Kennebunk, where Pres. Bush Sr. has his summer home and that is a delightful area and more convenient to Logan Airport which is about 1.5 hours from Maine. There is also Portland Maine Jetport for airports.

It all depends on what you want to see in Maine. You have the coast which is beautiful or you have inland which is quiet and relaxing.

Another place to look into in The Balsams in New Hampshire. Right in the heart of the White Mountains.

boston ma
Level Contributor
30 posts
2. Re: Parents 50th wedding anniversary

I just came across these that look lovely

http://www.whitebarninn.com/home.html

or in the Boothbay area

http://www.bluenoseinn.com/

good luck

MAINE
7 posts
3. Re: Parents 50th wedding anniversary

samoset resort in Rockland is awesome check it out online. What a nice daugher/son your are!!!!!!

AUGUSTA,, MAINE
3 posts
4. Re: Parents 50th wedding anniversary

It sounds to me like Boothbay Harbor is a great idea for what you're looking for. Just off its shore is Cabbage Island. Each day in the summer one can take a short boat trip from BH to the island for an awesome clambake. The price of the ticket includes the boat trip (equally awesome), and the clambake (choice of lobster or chicken). Boothbay is also one of our hubs for whale watching, so it sounds as convenient as can be. Your folks will be guaranteed beautiful views wherever they are in Maine, especially the coast. I've lived and been everywhere, and I think Maine's coast is unmatched for beauty, charm and serenity, both natural and architectural. Boothbay is a wonderful walking town, with views from every angle, and neat shops to entertain. Check out the town's website for information on the clambake and whale watching. You'll want to reserve for Cabbage Island as soon as your plans are solidified.

The town of Wiscasset is just before the turnoff to Boothbay on route one. It calls itself the prettiest village in Maine, and its one of my personal favorites for its amazing captain's houses. I recommend stopping there to walk around. Just on the left before the bridge that goes over the ocean toward Boothbay Harbor is a lobster shack called Red's. The lobster rolls are deliciously traditional, no mayo unless you really think you'll need it. Red's has been featured on food channels a couple of times, and since then it's quite busy in the summer, but there's no better place to relax and wait in line.

Haven't been to the lobster festival sinice I moved here from CA 10 years ago, but if one is going to head to Rockland, go a few more miles north and visit Camden. The original Peyton Place movie was filmed there, so if you've seen the movie (I haven't), it should give you a good idea what the village looks like, which is typical coastal Maine, red brick downtown with huge and immaculate captain's houses all around. A short drive up Mt. Battie will reward one with a spectacular view of Camden Harbor (windjammer cruises can be gotten at the harbor). Equally close to town is Camden Hills State Park, where one can picnic very close to those famous tree-lined rocky cliffs.

Lastly, the sister village of Camden is Rockport. Rockport harbor was named by the late Charles Kuralt as one of the most beautiful spots he'd ever been, probably because the buildings rise so steeply from the harbor.

I hope this info is somewhat helpful. Your folks are lucky to have you. I hope you get to visit us as well.

golden
1 post
5. Re: Parents 50th wedding anniversary

I am originally from Maine. I now live in COlorado. I don't know if it is still going on but for a graduation gift my parents took me to Boothbay Harbor and we went on the Cabbage Island Clambake. You get a boat ride to Cabbage Isand, have a fantastic meal with lobster,steamers, roasted potatoes, corn & onions and they had the best blueberry cake for dessert. Then you had a wounderful cruise around the bay. They might enjoy that. There was also a railroad muesum that was really interesting.

Maryland
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
6. Re: Parents 50th wedding anniversary

I have been to Maine for the last 30 years as my husband is from there in the northern part of the state. The White Barn Inn is VERY expensive and stuffy.There is alot to do. How will they get around? Will they have a car or rely on someone driving? The Rockland Festival is going to be really crowded. The Samoset in that town is also REALLY costly.

A nice area is Kennebunkport and Kennebunk. They could relax at one of the hotels or inns. The inns tend to be more costly. They can walk into town and eat or look at the stores.

Perkins Cove near Oquinquit is my favorite place. It does get crowded though. Threre are tons of hotels, motels for every budget. There are whale watching trips and lobster trips at the cove. Shopping is plentiful too. There is a summer theater there too. There is a trolley that can take you around the area to save walking. There are also many B&B's to pick from.

www.iloveb&bs.com or Pamela Lanier has a site for B&B's. There is a 1 mile ocean walk that is lovely along the community. Boothbay Harbor is hilly for walking.

Being elderly they would be better off staying at one place for a few days. Too much might over load them.

Try looking on line at Frommer's and http://www.tripadvisor.com/

New York
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
7. Re: Parents 50th wedding anniversary

I am interested in your experience in Maine for your parents' anniversary. Did you stay at Linekin Bay Resort? My son is planning his wedding there, and I am interested in any details which you can provide. Thank you.

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,497 posts
41 reviews
8. Re: Parents 50th wedding anniversary

Has your son already booked the LInnekin Bay Resort or is he simply considering in?

If he is just looking, tell him to also look at the Spruce Point Inn and the Newagen Seaside Inn in nearby Southport Island, two other popular venues for wedding receptions in the Boothbay Are.

Also, I attended a very fun wedding a couple of years ago at a restaurant with a huge wall of windows looking out over the water. Right downtown in Boothbay, wish I could remember the name...Maybe Fisherman't Wharf?

Augusta, Maine
Level Contributor
180 posts
14 reviews
9. Re: Parents 50th wedding anniversary

Boothbay is nice enough, but Rockland isn't much further, and if you are considering the Lobster Festival, the Samoset Resort is perfect. It has great views, a nice restaurant, a pool, and is also near Camden, which is the ideal Maine town to visit if you are looking for a "coastal" experience. There is much to do in this area, as it is totally tourist oriented.

New York
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
10. Re: Parents 50th wedding anniversary

I really appreciate your prompt replies and suggestions. They have not yet booked Linekin Bay Resort, but since their budget is an issue, Spruce Point may be out of the question. They looked at Linekin Bay and loved its breathtaking view. I just wanted to know if anyone has been there. Thanks so much!