We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

convenient place to stay in Bar Harbor

nyc
Level Contributor
76 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
convenient place to stay in Bar Harbor

We would like to go to Bar Harbor on Sunday for three nights. We thought this time of year we would be able to find a place to stay on short notice. Can anyone recommend a pleasant place that is well located? A small kitchen, or at least a small fridge would be welcome. I am not sure how important it is to be close to town this time of year. We do have a car, but I dont know what parking is like. We would like to go to the park and take some easy walks, maybe an easy bike ride if such a thing exists and is possible with rental bikes. Thank you for your help.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: convenient place to stay in Bar Harbor

Obama recently stayed at the Holiday Inn and is planning to go back....loved it. Highbrook Motel gets good reviews. Bar Harbor Motel usually has some good packages this time of year with a dinner included. Actually I think you are safe to drive up and look around this week, it's not leaf-peeping time quite yet and you should see quite a few vacancies and be able to browse around and choose a neat location. Acadia Inn is fine too, Park Entrance Motel is to be avoided according to many reviews.

At www.kayak.com you can compare prices , even if you don't book through them it will give you an idea of what you'll find on Sunday

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: convenient place to stay in Bar Harbor

Places have been unusually busy this September. You may have a hard time finding a last minute reservation. I would call ahead so you don't spend your whole day driving around looking for a room.

Joe gave you some good hotel advice. For B&B's, check the website www.sleepbarharbor.com.

nyc
Level Contributor
76 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: convenient place to stay in Bar Harbor

Thank you. I will feel more comfortable going there and looking around instead of reserving in advance. I read about the Holiday Inn on Trip Advisor and the reviews seemed very negative.

nyc
Level Contributor
76 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: convenient place to stay in Bar Harbor

Oops, I replied to post 1 before realizing there was a post 2. I guess I should find a place. I know about the sites that give names. I am just so unfamiliar with the place that I thought some personal recommendations would be best. We are not budget travelers, but are not looking for luxury. BBs are nice, but those big breakfasts every day when we are on the road for over a week are killers. We like a little fridge to have a light breakfast and maybe some light snacks.

That said, the Bluenose seemed appealing, despite its lack of fridge, until I read that its location was not convenient. The Harbor Inn alse seemed adequate, but really big and institutional.

All guidance and comments welcome

Virginia
Level Contributor
291 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: convenient place to stay in Bar Harbor

I agree with lovingbarharbor, its easier having a place reserved before you get there. I would look for a place close to or even in town... or at least on the Island Explorer bus line.

We stayed here many years ago:

http://www.snellhouse.com

The location can't be beat and the owners are very nice. We'd stay there again but now when we visit, its a small family gathering for us and we need larger accomodations. At the time we stayed, one could rent by the day.

I think you'll be able to find a place to fit your needs.

6. Re: convenient place to stay in Bar Harbor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 March 2011, 05:26