We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

With very kimited time...where should I go in Maine

Vancouver, Canada
4 posts
Save Topic
With very kimited time...where should I go in Maine

Hi,

I have had very helpful responses from fellow travellers on Trip Advisor.,..so would anyone be able to help me with this...

I have only two days in mid October, where I shall be travelling by bus from North Conway in New Hampshire through Maine to New Brunswick. Please can some advise me where to aim for??

I am 24, travelling alone (on a backpackers budget!) and love to be outdoors (preferably by the sea) but in close enough range to visit a busy town for fresh seafood and drinks!!

Can anyone help me??

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: With very kimited time...where should I go in Maine

Is the bus taking a particular route up through Maine? And are you allowed to get off and on for a day? What are your choices as to where to get off the bus? Do you need a motel close to the bus stops? Or are you asking for advice as to how to plan a bus voyage on various buses, where to stop etc? i'm not sure if you've already got the bus ticket or not....?????

Vancouver, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: With very kimited time...where should I go in Maine

I was going to decide where to visit and just book a bus from North Conway to this area and then another bus two days later to Saint John, New Brunswick. Unless you know of other way I can do it?

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,869 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: With very kimited time...where should I go in Maine

Do your "two days" include travel time from North Conway to Bangor to connect to Acadia Bus Lines? If so, you may spend most of the two days on-the-road.....

Concord Trailways, which I prefer over Greyhound Lines, has only two trips a day between North Conway and Boston (the only practical way to get from North Conway to Bangor by bus is to go through Boston) --

One leaves North Conway at 8:30AM and arrives in Boston at 12:20, in time to catch the 1:15 bus between Boston and Portland, arriving in Portland at 3:10PM.

The other leaves North Conway at 2:35PM, arrives in Boston at 6:20PM, in time for the 7:15 bus to Portland which arrives at 9:10PM.....

Either way, you're going to need to spend a night in Portland, because there are only three northbound buses to Bangor each day -- the ones departing at 12:05 and 4:15PM operate via an inland route that uses Interstate super-highway routes and arrive in Bangor at 2:30 and 6:30 respectively. The third route goes roughly along the coast, passing through numerous small towns, leaving Portland at 2:00PM and arriving in Bangor at 6:00PM.

Depending on what time your Acadia Bus Lines bus, or your connection to it, leaves Bangor, you may need to spend your second night there -- using a day to get from North Conway to Portland and the second day to get from Portland to Bangor..... Check your bus schedules closely before planning too many other activities....

That said, if you do have some extra time, Portland would be a great place to spend it -- great Old Port district, walkable waterfront area, interesting and relatively inexpensive ferry-boat ride to a harbor island and back.....

Check carefully before planning on seeing other buss-accessible destinations; in some cases the local "bus stop" is not near the community center and may or may not be a building dedicated to bus transportation -- in some cases, it's simply a corner of a local parking lot where the bus stops to let passengers on and off.... Check the Concord Trailways website for a list of station locations and facilities.

4. Re: With very kimited time...where should I go in Maine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2011, 06:22