We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fall trip to Maine

Evansville, Indiana
1 post
2 reviews
Fall trip to Maine

I have never been to the northeastern part of the country. Any suggestions on where to go and places to see

Thanks for any and all suggestions

1 reply
Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
7,236 posts
160 reviews
1. Re: Fall trip to Maine

The reason most folks come to Maine in the Fall is for the colorful foliage when the leaves turn color before falling off the trees. Foliage color develops first in extreme northern Maine and the western Maine mountains along the New Hampshire border, where elevations are higher and temperatures cool off first. That generally happens the last week in September into the first week in October. The foliage change then moves generally east and south until it reaches the coastline of the Atlantic Ocean, generally around mid-October... but dates do vary from year to year depending on weather and climate.

As far as where to go, that depends on what you want to see... the western Maine mountains around Rangeley are great foliage territory; so is the lakes region in Central and Southern Maine if you want to arrive a bit later; and the area around Acadia National Park/Bar Harbor and the mid-coast (Belfast south to Bath) offer good foliage even later.

Outside of foliage, Maine offers mountains, lakes, farmland, forests, ocean beaches, rocky ocean cliffs and numerous combinations thereof.... where to go will really depend on what you hope to see or do while you're here...and because Maine is such a big state, you really will need to pick-and-choose unless you plan to spend a couple of weeks or longer....

Elsewhere in the northeast, New Hampshire and Vermont offer great mountain and lake experiences; the Cape Cod National Seashore in Massachusetts offers another, totally different, kind of experience.... Almost any of them can make a great vacation, depending on what you like to do and see.

I'm sorry if this sounds rather generalized, but right now your question is sort of like saying: "I've never been to the supermarket before, what should I buy to eat."

Reply to: Fall trip to Maine
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted