We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best route and lunch stop between Portland and Bangor?

Bogota, Colombia
Level Contributor
182 posts
44 reviews
Best route and lunch stop between Portland and Bangor?

My sons (8 and 12 years old) and I will be flying into Portland and then driving to Bangor. What's the best route and best place to stop for lunch between the two cities?

Note: my older son doesn't do well with lots of twisty, windy roads....

Thanks!

5 replies to this topic
Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
7,522 posts
9 reviews
1. Re: Best route and lunch stop between Portland and Bangor?

You would leave Portland on interstate 295, which joins interstate 95 near Augusta. It's a four lane, divided highway the whole way. It only takes two hours to drive it. You could wait for lunch until you get to Bangor.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
7,218 posts
158 reviews
2. Re: Best route and lunch stop between Portland and Bangor?

Bonnie is right -- depending on flight arrival time, you could wait until you get to Bangor. But if the kids get hungry on the way north, lots of choices near the exits off I-95 in Augusta, Waterville, and Newport. To give them something different, try Dysart's Restaurant and Truck Stop, I-95 Exit # 180 (turn left at the end of the exit ramp) just south of Bangor. Breakfast, lunch and dinner all day every day; great baked goods; everything from bacon-and-eggs to sandwiches on great breads to seafood and full course dinners. And the variety of big-rig trucks coming and going will entertain the boys before and during your meal.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
314 reviews
3. Re: Best route and lunch stop between Portland and Bangor?

Mainer or Bonnie...correct me if I am wrong..but that section of I-95 is a toll road right? Just wanted to let the original poster know to have bills or change on hand for the tolls.

I agree, certainly an easy trip with kids from Portland to Bangor.

Augusta, Maine
Level Contributor
629 posts
30 reviews
4. Re: Best route and lunch stop between Portland and Bangor?

The tolls on 95 end at Augusta, so by taking 295 to Augusta instead of 95, there would be no toll on the suggested route. If you take 95 all the way from Portland to Bangor instead, there would be one toll (at Augusta). I'm pretty sure it's $1

Augusta, Maine
Level Contributor
629 posts
30 reviews
5. Re: Best route and lunch stop between Portland and Bangor?

Sorry, my error. We live by Augusta so if we go to Portland we take 295S and if we go to Bangor we might take 95N and pay no tolls in either direction, but that is because we get on just past the toll booth in the respective direction. Driving through you will have to pay the $1 toll when you get on 95 any the end of 295 unless you get off in Gardiner 1 exit south of the toll and take local roads and get back on in Augusta 1 exit north of the toll. Fine if you want to eat in Gardiner or Augusta but easier to just pay the $1

Edited: 02 June 2018, 21:59
Reply to: Best route and lunch stop between Portland and Bangor?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted