We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When does lobster reach the lowest market price?

New York
1 post
Save Topic
When does lobster reach the lowest market price?

My family is going to visit Maine this year. But we are not sure which month does lobster reach the lowest market price. I heard recently lobster is $12/lb, is that true?

4 replies to this topic
Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
7,459 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When does lobster reach the lowest market price?

Bumping this up so that maybe someone else will answer it. I'm not sure there is a month when prices are lowest. It all depends on the catch, supply and demand. Varies greatly from year to year, as far as I know.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
7,178 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When does lobster reach the lowest market price?

I agree with Bonnie -- have lived in Maine all my life and still haven't identified the "best" month for least expensive lobster.... prices vary from week to week and even day to day depending on all sorts of (mostly) unpredictable variables. Trying to "time" your vacation to the price of lobster will likely be an exercise in frustration and futility.

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
4,189 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When does lobster reach the lowest market price?

If you want to check prices from last summer, try this link:

maine-lylobster.com/2017/08/the-price-of-lob…

Within that site you can check prices for the summer months of 2017.

For whatever reason, Market Basket and Hannaford in my area last week had lobster between $6 and $7/pound. The only thing with supermarket lobster is you are not sure if it is from Maine. i always ask if it says something like "gulf of Maine" waters instead of "Maine."

Level Contributor
6,403 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When does lobster reach the lowest market price?

Just in case you're not familiar with lobster & pricing....that $7 per pound is for a whole lobster, shell and all. Lobster meat runs $40-45 per pound.

Reply to: When does lobster reach the lowest market price?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted