We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spokane to Denver

South Africa
Level Contributor
35 posts
12 reviews
Spokane to Denver

I am from South Africa and planning a 7 day road trip from Spokane to Denver via Rapid City from 19 Aug to 26th August.My wife and I. (65 and 70 yrs old)

Assistance with an Itinerary would be appreciated.

Day 1 20 Aug: sleep over near Spokane. Any suggestions?

Day 2. 21 Aug: ? Deadwood?

Day 3 . 22 Aug: Keystone Visit Mt Rushmore

Day 4. 23 Aug: Keystone Visit Badlands Nat Park

Day 5. 24 Aug: ?

Day 6. 25 Aug: Rocky Mountain Nat Park. Accommodation? What is the weather like in August?

Day 7: 26 Aug: Stay over in Denver

We fly out of Denver on 27th Aug.

2 replies to this topic
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
25,048 posts
112 reviews
1. Re: Spokane to Denver

Here is my suggestion:

Day 1: Where are you coming from? I'd suggest Coeur d'Alene over Spokane as it's prettier.

Day 2: Deadwood is WAY too far. It's around 800 miles and altho on Interstate highways it's not a day I would recommend. I'd suggest an overnight at Billings (500 miles) or Sheridan (630 miles).

Day 3: If you had an interest in Native American/American history you could stop at Little Bighorn National Battlefield which is between Billings and Sheridan if you stayed over last night in Billings. www.nps.gov/libi

You could also stop at Devils Tower National Monument (filming spot for Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind) on the way to Keystone area.

Day 4: Looks fine

Day 5: Keystone if you can get another night's lodging. It can snow in any month of the year in Wyoming, Montana, Idaho and Colorado (and the Utah mountains).

Day 6: Estes.

Not sure what the rest of your trip looks like but you are bypassing some spectacular stuff with not enough days to see anything. This whole area has more visitors than hotel rooms so not sure if you can even change anything at this date.

Here are a couple of suggestions:

Day 2: Overnight Gardiner MT. See a teeny bit of Yellowstone.

Day 3: Drive east from Gardiner across the Northern road in Yellowstone and exit the NE entrance (about a 2-hour drive). Drive east on US 212 across Beartooth Highway to Red Lodge (another 2-2.5 hours), then drive up toward Billings and get back on I90. Overnight Sheridan or Buffalo WY

Day 4/5: Overnight Keystone

Day 6: Estes Park

Day 7: Denver

or

Day 2: Overnight Red Lodge MT.

Day 3: Drive Beartooth Highway, then Chief Joseph Highway to Cody WY. Overnight CodyWY. See the Buffalo Bill Center of the West 5-museum complex this afternoon.

Day 4/5 Keystone

Day 6: Estes Park

Day 7: Denver

I'd also suggest you post on the Road Trips forum since you are looking at multi-state itinerary.

https:/…ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Trips.html

South Africa
Level Contributor
35 posts
12 reviews
2. Re: Spokane to Denver

Hi Dobby, Thanks so much for the useful info. I will study it with a map. So far I have not booked any accommodation and know I am running out of time! Thanks, Ron

Reply to: Spokane to Denver
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted