We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route from Mesa Verde to Ouray

midwest
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Route from Mesa Verde to Ouray

I'm trying to finish up our routing details for our 2 week trip this summer.

We're flying into PHX--going to -- Grand Canyon -- Page, AZ -- Mesa Verde -- Ouray, CO -- Chimayo, NM (for 5 nights and doing day trips from there to SF, Taos, etc.) and flying home from ABQ.

I "think" we're going to take HWY 145 from Mesa Verde (leaving MV in the morning) to Telluride (stopping to see the town a little and ride the gondola).

Around lunch time we're going to head to Ouray.

Do we take 145 west -- 62 (to Ridgeway) and 550 south to Ouray?

Any other options or suggestions?

Black Canyon
Canyons, National Parks
Royal Gorge Bridge and Park
Bridges, Tramways, Canyons, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Parks
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,443 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Route from Mesa Verde to Ouray

Yes, 145 to Placerville, then east on 62 to Ridgway, then 550 south to Ouray. The other route would be to Durango then 550 north, but I see on your other post you are taking that route from Ouray to Durango then to Chimayo. There really aren't any other options unless you drive the Unaweep Tabeguache Byway through Gateway and back south, or around by Moab and back through Grand Junction & south... which are great drives but WAY out of the way for the time you have.

Your route is perfect, and a gorgeous drive.

midwest
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Route from Mesa Verde to Ouray

Thanks misspWestSlope_CO.

That's one route taken care of :)

Any suggestions for lunch, if we decide to stop instead of picnicing?

We like all types of food but, are on a very tight budget. It's always nice to try something different than we can get here at home in the midwest or something that is a local specialty.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,443 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Route from Mesa Verde to Ouray

hmmm, let me think on it! Sounds like you would want to eat in Telluride or Ridgway? Or would you wait till you get to Ouray?

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,306 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Route from Mesa Verde to Ouray

Telluride has wonderful restaurants. 3 that come to mind (that aren't too pricey) are 1) the Brown Dog, burgers, sandwiches, etc, 2) Smugglers Brew Pub, sandwiches, salads, lots of micro brews 3) Siam, thai. They are all wonderful! The 1st two have some unusual sandwiches. Smuggler's has one called Italian Beef that is delicious.

Ridgway also has a small Thai restaurant (can't recall the name right now), very good. Then there is the True Grit, filled with memorabilia from the original John Wayne version of the movie, which was filmed in Ridgway.

I have eaten in all of these restaurants multiple times and they are all good.

www.smugglersbrewpub.com

www.browndogpizza.com

www.siamtelluride.com

www.truegritcafe.com

midwest
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Route from Mesa Verde to Ouray

Thanks, endosunshine for the recs.

misspWestSlope_CO, I'll wait to hear your recs.

Thanks for the advice.

Edited: 14 June 2011, 16:03
Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,306 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Route from Mesa Verde to Ouray

Sorry, I realized I typed one of the links wrong.

www.smugglersbrew.com

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,443 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Route from Mesa Verde to Ouray

endosunshine has the most experience with Telluride restaurants! It just kinda depends on your timing and where you'll be when you want to eat. I was going to suggest True Grit, too, just because it's unique and fun. We haven't been in ages but it used to be reasonable. I was also wondering about the Blue Jay Cafe in Placerville. We haven't eaten there but have friends who stayed there once and thought it was good. endosunshine, what have you heard about the Blue Jay?

If you go on as far as Ouray, we enjoy O'Brien's (Irish egg rolls for $6.50 make a meal for me, and the shepherd's pie is tasty!) , and I've seen kavery recommend the Ouray Brewery. The Brewery is a little pricier than O'Brien's, seems to me. …wordpress.com/2011/01/food-menu-2011.pdf

Backstreet Bagel and Deli is good for lunch, too.

Maggie's has a decent burger and is probably the cheapest place to eat in Ouray but we avoid it because we don't like the service and the owner tends to be pretty grumpy with customers, as reflected in the Trip Advisor Reviews. I can testify to their accuracy because we've had it happen to us twice and even though my hubby likes their frreshcut fries, he was mad enough that we will not go back.

8. Re: Route from Mesa Verde to Ouray

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 05:16