We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spur of the moment camping, need help!!!!!

Denver, Colorado
8 posts
Save Topic
Spur of the moment camping, need help!!!!!

A group of girls, myself included would like to take a spur of the moment camping trip for a single night. It's too late to make reservations, all we need is a place to put up a tent and a place to make a fire (having firewood would be helpful). we are no frills. However being new to colorado we don't know where we can go? can anyone help? Also, we don't like the idea of camping on top of other people, so crowded, "pack em in" campsites are not appealing.

Blazing Adventures Aspen
River Rafting & Tubing, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Bike Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Stand-Up Paddleboarding
Aspire Tours
Beer Tastings & Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Yellow Wood Guiding
Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Photography Tours
Estes Park Mountain Shop
Gift & Speciality Shops, Equipment Hire, Fishing Charters & Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,627 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spur of the moment camping, need help!!!!!

You do know that you can camp pretty much anyplace in National Forest? You do not need a camp ground . There is some nice camping on off tiger rd, in Breckenridge. Just keep going pass Good Times and grab a nice spot. The Colorado trail is easy to access from there too. http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=tiger+rd+breckenridge&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1443&bih=711&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

If you need "amenities" maybe the camping around Lake Dillon. I was there a couple of weeks ago and it was fairly empty.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,703 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spur of the moment camping, need help!!!!!

As alli says, "dispersed" camping (not in established campgrounds) is allowed in some National Forests, but be sure to check before you go because dispersed camping is not allowed everywhere any longer. (I'm sure that's why you're asking!) And also check fire restrictions and rules for building campfires. With high fire danger--standing dead timber from beetle kills and drought--campfires can be risky, especially when not using a firepit. There are lots of state park and forest service campgrounds with tent only areas, and many many campgrounds have sites spread out over a decent sized area so people aren't packed in.

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,796 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spur of the moment camping, need help!!!!!

The Blue River campground has just reopened after being closed for a couple years of tree removal. It is right along the Blue River - a great sound to lull you to sleep! You could very well have the place to yourself. It is a beautiful spot just a few miles north of Silverthorne on your right - there is a sign.

Edited: 10 June 2011, 18:02
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,627 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spur of the moment camping, need help!!!!!

That is interesting misswestslope, I had never even heard the term "dispersed camping" before! I checked for White National Forest and there was little information. You might call 970-468-5400 the Dillon Station to see what if any restrictions are in place.

I know the camping area that 1fourfun mentioned. Am I right that just down and across the rd is a dirt rd that leads to some great hiking?

Have fun and let us know what you ended up doing. Lots of folks ask about camping.

Edited: 10 June 2011, 18:06
Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,796 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spur of the moment camping, need help!!!!!

Yes, you are correct! Gore Trail crosses up there too. It is kind of a long road, so I would drive over to the trail head, but totally walkable from the campground.

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,796 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spur of the moment camping, need help!!!!!

A lot of rafters/kayakers will camp or day camp (even though it was technically closed) at Blue River. If you make friends you might be able to go rafting with some private boaters too! That is a super fun run, and you will see me go by this weekend for sure!

Denver, Colorado
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Spur of the moment camping, need help!!!!!

The blue river sounds perfect! thank you for the awesome suggestion!

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,703 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spur of the moment camping, need help!!!!!

Yes, alli, we have been accustomed to jumping in the camper and pulling off a forest road wherever; we found out about restrictions on dispersed camping on a trip to Buena Vista/Nathrop. All the campgrounds were full and no camping allowed outside established campgrounds.

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,796 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spur of the moment camping, need help!!!!!

How did it go this past weekend?

Denver, Colorado
8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Spur of the moment camping, need help!!!!!

it was great! we did blue river, super easy drive and easy to find. We got there around noon on Saturday and there were only 3 other campers there but by 5 it was filled. We will definitely be returning.

It was a little barren with all the trees gone but the sites are far enough apart that we didn't even hear anyone else. And we were right on the water which was lovely! Thank you so much for the suggestion! Watching the rafters go by was entertaining as well!!!