We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glenwood springs Amtrak station

LONDON
Level Contributor
64 posts
Glenwood springs Amtrak station

Hi,we will be arriving in Glenwood Springs on the California Zephyr,and we are staying at the Rodeway Inn I heard its about 6 min away from station, would anyone know if its a walking distance, or is there a bus service, we are 60+ and will have 2 suitcases any suggestions highly appreciated .Also we are picking up a car from Rifle is there a bus service from Glenwood Springs to Rifle. Thank you in advance for any help

Special Offer
Grand Canyon Helicopter Tour from Las...
616 Reviews
from US$369.99*
US$479.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Luxury...
378 Reviews
from US$299.99*
US$399.00
Special Offer
Las Vegas Tour: Grand Canyon...
130 Reviews
from US$473.99*
US$499.00
17 replies to this topic
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
20,673 posts
449 reviews
1. Re: Glenwood springs Amtrak station

The Rodeway Inn is about 2km from the station. It's not realistic walking distance. I would suggest you take a taxi. I would also suggest you reconsider your lodging and stay at one of the hotels near the station, such as Hotel Denver. I can tell you first hand, the Rodeway Inn is not the greatest experience.

I'm curious as to your car pickup in Rifle. There is bus service between Glenwood Springs and Rifle. The nearest stop to the Rodeway would be the West Glenwood Mall, which is about a 20 minute walk from the hotel. But there's no car rental in Rifle. There are several car rental outlets in Glenwood Springs. Both Enterprise and Budget have locations. I would guess that they might even pick you up at your hotel.

Have fun.

Naalehu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
70 reviews
2. Re: Glenwood springs Amtrak station

This is the OPs other topic where they talked about being on a road trip. I thought they were driving.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g33446…

Colorado
Level Contributor
2,532 posts
142 reviews
3. Re: Glenwood springs Amtrak station

Valley Taxi to get to hotel, I would reserve if you want to use them as it is a small company and other train riders may have a reservation.

(970) 404-5181

Ride Glenwood Springs bus runs from 9th & Grand (3 blocks from train station) to a location near the Rodeway Inn. Just ask the driver to tell you where to exit the bus (Elks Lodge stop). Ride Glenwood schedule

https:/…Ride-Glenwood-Springs

Walking not recommended to that location. If you are dead set on it, plan about a half hour walk. When you leave the train station you will see a nice new pedestrian bridge across the CO River. Take it across the river and then across 6th St. to the north side of the street and turn left and go for maybe a mile and a half or so. Stay on that busy road, do not take any turns from it. I think there is a walkway the entire distance but I have only ridden it on my bike or driven so can't remember for sure. It is not an ideal intro to GWS.

As T & C asked, is there a reason not to use Enterprise? They will deliver a car to you. In fact, if you were walking you would walk past the rental office, it is about 1/2 way. Not sure whether Budget delivers. Going to Rifle seems like a big hassle but the bus info is at

https://www.rfta.com/routes/hogback-rifle/

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
7,527 posts
265 reviews
4. Re: Glenwood springs Amtrak station

Once you add in the cost of a taxi I don't know that the money you think you are saving at the Rodeway is enough to cover the taxi fare and tip. Hotel Denver is across the street from the train station.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,527 posts
265 reviews
5. Re: Glenwood springs Amtrak station

It's also important to let you know that if you do walk it's a steady uphill climb in a dry climate. Be sure to have a supply of water and good hats.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,527 posts
265 reviews
6. Re: Glenwood springs Amtrak station

One more thing, the car rental place in Rifle isn't in the town. It's at the Garfield County Airport between Silt & Rifle. The bus doesn't go there.

Surrey
Level Contributor
65 posts
7 reviews
7. Re: Glenwood springs Amtrak station

Thank you so much. Basically the reason we were thinking collecting the car in rifle is because there is a hertz car rental there. The only reason we dis not want to use Enterprise is because there is an $800 damage excess on the vehicle, we would much prefer to have the car in Glenwood as it would save all this hassle but just put off by the high excess charge, Hertz do not have any excess on their vehicles. We are going to rethink this, if we do get a taxi from the Rodeway Inn to rifle airfield does anyone know the cost at all please?

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
20,673 posts
449 reviews
8. Re: Glenwood springs Amtrak station

Check with Valley Taxi on cost out to Rifle airport. Another option if you need to rent from Hertz is to pickup in Aspen. There is bus service on RFTA from Glenwood to Aspen Airport. It is further than going to Rifle.

Good luck.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
9,106 posts
197 reviews
9. Re: Glenwood springs Amtrak station

OP, unless you pay for a CDW during your rental, most agencies are going to put a hold on your card until you return the vehicle. Enterprise is excellent about listing all fees, but I’m not sure from your description whether you understand the charges and deposits.

As far as the rest of your post, Glenwood is one of the most scenic stops along the train route. Most people stay in town and visit one of the hot spring facilities that the town is famous for. I worry that your plan to save a few dollars (and a lack of understanding of rental car fees) is going to cause you to miss any otherwise memorable Colorado experience and instead spend the day getting to/from some inconvenient hotel on the outskirts of town and then dealing with an unnecessarily complex car rental.

Surrey
Level Contributor
65 posts
7 reviews
10. Re: Glenwood springs Amtrak station

Thank you but i do understand. We are staying 2 nights at the Rodeway Inn as we want to see the sights. Regarding the car hire, Hertz have no excess on their vehicles as for Enterprise they charge you $800 if you want to remove the damage waiver to nil. If you don't then there is a potential maximum charge of $1200 if the car is returned damaged. As we are well travelled and have experienced problems with car hire companies before we want to have the car fully insured with no excess to pay!. Thanks for all your help we will look into this before booking the car anyway

Reply to: Glenwood springs Amtrak station
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted