We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Denver, Colorado-Layover

7 posts
Denver, Colorado-Layover

Hii I would be flying across Denver and I have a layover from night 11:00 pm to next day afternoon 1:00 pm. I was wondering if it would be safe at night to catch the train and head straight to the downtown area and spend the night and the morning there.

Or should I wait till early morning and then go to the downtown are and spend a couple of hours there. This is my first time in Denver and second time in USA.

Any interesting places to see in Denver downtown, over such a short time gap?

Special Offer
Grand Canyon Helicopter Tour from Las...
618 Reviews
from US$369.99*
US$479.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Luxury...
378 Reviews
from US$299.99*
US$399.00
Special Offer
Las Vegas Tour: Grand Canyon...
130 Reviews
from US$473.99*
US$499.00
7 replies to this topic
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
20,711 posts
449 reviews
1. Re: Denver, Colorado-Layover

Welcome to the forum. It's about 40 minutes by train to downtown. So if you're arriving at 11:00 p.m., by time you gathered your luggage and got the train it would be 11:45 p.m. so you would be downtown around 12:30 a.m. You could get a hotel around Union Station. Hotel Crawford (in the station), Oxford, Indigo are a few options. But you would really need to take a train back around 10:30 a.m. in order to make your 1:00 p.m. flight. That's not a lot of time. But you could do it. Yes, it would be interesting to walk around downtown Denver. But I just don't know that with the time you have that it would be worthwhile.

Have fun.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
3,029 posts
40 reviews
2. Re: Denver, Colorado-Layover

I agree w/ TumbleWeed. Based on your layover time frame better to find a comfortable room near the airport that has a free shuttle. Arriving late and not knowing your way around town can leave you open for trouble makers. If you could extend your layover for say 24 hours it might make it worth the while but it sounds like too much trouble for the payoff, honestly.

7 posts
3. Re: Denver, Colorado-Layover

Thanks for the reply guys

7 posts
4. Re: Denver, Colorado-Layover

I was wondering if it would be good to take the train at morning 5 and be in downtown by 6 and catch the train back at 11:00 am. I know it's hardly 5 hours and most of the shops wouldn't have opened by then..

But I just wanna stroll around the downtown.

My question is would it be safe to catch the train early in the morning and be in the downtown, so early?

Sammamish...
Level Contributor
6,749 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: Denver, Colorado-Layover

In the sense of getting mugged? You'll be fine. Shops won't be open, but coffee shops will be and people will be on their way to work. It will likely be pretty dead at 6:00 AM and you may run into some pandhandlers.

In the sense of missing your flight? If you take the 11:00 train AM train and its on time, you'll be at the airport at 11:37. For a 1:00 PM flight that's pushing it. The train is (still) not 100% reliable. I'd leave no later that 10:30.

This seems like a lot of effort to stroll around downtown. If you were arriving in the morning and leaving in the evening, it would be different. But given your flight times, I'd not bother.

7 posts
6. Re: Denver, Colorado-Layover

Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
9,166 posts
197 reviews
7. Re: Denver, Colorado-Layover

+1 for getting a hotel. With no place to leave your luggage, it will be a huge hassle to go anywhere, and wandering around a city in the middle of the night is not a smart plan for any city.

By the time you get off your first flight, you'll have just enough time for a good night of rest before returning to catch your connection.

Reply to: Denver, Colorado-Layover
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted