We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spring break itenerary with teens

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Spring break itenerary with teens

Hi, we plan to come to California for spring break (first week in April) about would love suggestions. A suggested 6 day travel route would be really helpful. Hoping to hit some nature (hikes etc) highlights, maybe walk around few college campuses. We don't need to do any of the huge touristy things like Disney or amusement parks. Our kids are 13 and 15 and fairly active. I think we would rather go to Northern California but we are considering a more southern trip due to the weather at that time of year.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
67,367 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spring break itenerary with teens

Hi,

Your question is very vague so a bit hard to help you.

Hiking and colleges are found throughout the entire state which is quite huge!

For teens I always recommend allowing them to take part in the planning for the trip sooo perhaps have them get onto their computers to make a list of colleges or cities that interest them?

First decide if you want to fly into San Francisco, LA or San Diego and then we can help further. Everyone here will give you their own take on their neck of the woods so until you decide which area you prefer it is really not helpful for us to plan a trip for you.

You could easily stay in one place for that amount of time or you could drive around a bit which would be up to you. In southern California you could do a coastal area +desert.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spring break itenerary with teens

Yes, thanks I can handle the details and get the kids involved. I am really just looking for some opinions on which region to visit at that time of year and a few tips on what not to miss. If you are partial to a region I would love to hear why.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
58,223 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spring break itenerary with teens

we live in this area so perhaps we could be partial to the area we live in And with thousands of attractions it is really hard to choose or suggest -- it all depends on your likes and interest.

I don't think you realize how big CA is. It would be like me asking I want to visit the Eastern Sea board ? which place should I visit and why ? (sounds like a quiz question for 20 points in my son's mid-terms) .

TA works well when people take the time to do some research and come up with a draft itinerary based on their interest and then decide what they want to do . Hikes -- do you want to stay in a city and do local hikes on a day trip or go to a national and state park and then do a visit to a college.

Why not read the top question on Ca -- what to do and see and look at airfares -- to LAX or SAN or SFO and then decide Weather wise, it will be a bit warmer as one goes south so if you think that is a factor then please go South. SD and LA would be two places to cover in 6 days and there are plenty of colleges to check out and plenty of places to hike

Edited: 12 January 2015, 16:05
San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
17,843 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spring break itenerary with teens

If sunny weather is a must, then I'd go to southern CA. April is usually pretty nice in northern CA too, but it can be hit and miss - it can still be rainy sometimes. San Diego would make a great base for a week. You have the beaches, quite a few things to see and do. For the outdoors, you could go to Anza-Borego State Park, Torrey Pines State Reserve, etc.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
67,367 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spring break itenerary with teens

OK I'll take a shot at San Diego.

The city of San Diego has scenic areas along our beaches where you can snorkel(in the kelp forest),go on a sea kayak tour,surf(with wet suit)walk/bike even if the ocean water is cold.

There are beautiful parks for walking hiking like Torrey Pines State Reserve, Cowles Mountain. There is Balboa Park also which has walking/biking trails +small museums of all sorts, gardens, outdoor entertainment , interesting architecture, live theater,artisan shops and our world famous zoo.

There's Cabrillo National Monument with 180deg views, Ca, history, old lighthouse, and tide pools to explore at low tide.

There are ships to visit on the bayfront and boating adventures.

On the campus of Univ. of Ca. San Diego there is an outdoor sculpture trail including a "tree house" to visit.

In our La Jolla neighborhood you can also explore tide pools and see seals and sea lions in their native habitat.

That is all within the city limits. The surrounding county is as large as the state of Conn.

It includes mountain and desert areas within a 2hr. drive of the city.

OK I am done for now!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
58,223 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spring break itenerary with teens

I give you 18/20 for that. You forgot to specifically call out the must sees

;-)

Edited: 12 January 2015, 16:30
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
67,367 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spring break itenerary with teens

They said nature/colleges etc. Actually except for forgetting the Torrey Pines gliderport where you can watch them take off and soar out over the cliffs and/or go tandem with an instructor-----these are most of my "must sees".

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
17,843 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spring break itenerary with teens

Riff's must-sees are a lot of my must-sees in SD too - well, I'd add some breweries, but the OP is traveling with kids so those are probably not high on the list of priorities :-)

Adding to the list though...

Mission San Diego is great for people interested in history, and Old Town is interesting too. With a week in town, I'd visit both. The neighborhood around Old Town is kind of touristy with a bunch of souvenir shops, but the state historic park is very much worth a visit

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=663

The zoo and Seaworld are on a lot of people's must-see list. I have been to the zoo once, and enjoyed it, although I am not really a zoo person. I do think the SD zoo is very well done. I've never been to Seaworld.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spring break itenerary with teens

Thanks for all the great suggestions, this has been a HUGE help. I'll wait and see if any of your northern counterparts want to convince me to head north but heading to the San Diego area sounds like a winner.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
58,223 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spring break itenerary with teens

Nope go south please. have fun