We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in L.A.

Which California hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Crystal Lake...
Level Contributor
24 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in L.A.

Myself and two buddies are planning a trip to L.A. to attend a Cardinals vs Dodgers baseball series in mid May. We have not been to L.A. and are looking for advice on where to stay. Hollywood or Downtown L.A? We are not planning on renting a car, so close proximity to public transportation would be ideal. I know there is a Dodger Stadium Express that provides free shuttle from Union Station to the ballpark. I've read mixed reviews about staying in Hollywood. Would Downtown L.A. be a better choice? Any ideas?

Thanks.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
52,899 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in L.A.

Hi Roving-Saint

The Los Angeles forum has a terrific collection of Top Questions / FAQs. Check out their forum page (upper right for those Top Q.) tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g32655-i61-Los_Ang…

Have a great trip!

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,680 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in L.A.

First off, what's your budget for hotels?

If you're going to more than one game I'd vote for Downtown LA, it's close to Union Station and convenient. Hollywood would work too, you'd have a longer subway ride to connect to the shuttle. Hollywood these days is a major entertainment district, especially for the young. Some people find it exciting, some people find it annoying.

Crystal Lake...
Level Contributor
24 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in L.A.

We're looking in the $250/night range. Thanks for the info.

Estes Park, Colorado
Level Contributor
2 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in L.A.

There are basically four hotels close to Union Station; Otani, Biltmore, Bonaventute and the fourth escapes me but it is at Hill St &os Angeles St. The hotels all might me above $250. Olvera St. & Chinatown are clise but within walking distance . I won't walk anywhere else other than these places at nite!!! Daytime is OK!!! During the day go to Phillipes or Cole's for some great sandwiches. For Breakfast cheap and a lot go to the Pantry at Los Angeles St. and Olympic Blvd., about 9 Blks away. Do not go any further West that the 105 Fwy or East Alemada St. Or north of Chinatown or South of Olympic unless you know the area. If you have a chance go to the Westend of Pasadena along Colorado Blvd., Bars, Rest.,.etc P.S. I was born and raised in the area but left after I retired. Know the area well.

Edited: 27 February 2012, 03:14
Estes Park, Colorado
Level Contributor
2 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in L.A.

There are basically four hotels close to Union Station; Otani, Biltmore, Bonaventute and the fourth escapes me but it is at Hill St &os Angeles St. The hotels all might me above $250. Olvera St. & Chinatown are clise but within walking distance . I won't walk anywhere else other than these places at nite!!! Daytime is OK!!! During the day go to Phillipes or Cole's for some great sandwiches. For Breakfast cheap and a lot go to the Pantry at Los Angeles St. and Olympic Blvd., about 9 Blks away. Do not go any further West that the 105 Fwy or East Alemada St. Or north of Chinatown or South of Olympic unless you know the area. If you have a chance go to the Westend of Pasadena along Colorado Blvd., Bars, Rest.,.etc P.S. I was born and raised in the area but left after I retired. Know the area well.

Edited: 27 February 2012, 03:14
Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,168 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in L.A.

I'm not sure I agree with the above poster about there being only 4 hotels in proximity to Union Staton. Almost all the big hotels in downtown LA are in walking distance to a station for the Red Line subway which will be a 5-10 minute ride to Union Station, and there are man ymore hotels closer to Union Station than the Bonaventure, for instance.

Hotels in downtown to consider (not sure on the rates, but they are often on hotwire.com for less than $250, especially on weekends - you can use the forums at www.betterbidding.com to try and identify the hotels that Hotwire lists)...

Kyoto Grand (formerly the Otani)

The Omni

The Standard

The Sheraton

The Biltmore

The Bonaventure

Hilton Checkers

The LA Athletic Club

The downtown LA Marriott

The JW Marriott at LA Live (about a 3/4 mile walk to the Red Line, but LA Live is a fun, lively place for evening entertainment).

The main issue in downtown LA s that parts of downtown LA are very quiet at night and on weekends, not lively at all. Also, public transit access in downtown LA is great to the rest of the city, but downtown LA is less central (longer transit times) and the stops for the buses you need are spread around.

I would tend to think that Hollywood would be a better place to stay - its more central to the rest of the city and public transit access there is excellent and all concentrated at one intersection for the most part (Hollywood Blvd. and Highland Ave.) There's also good access here to tour buses. And its a much more lively area than anywhere in downtown except perhaps for LA Live. Disadvantage for the Dodgers is that the subway ride from Hollywood / Highland to Union Station is about 25 minutes, longer than if you stay in downtown. The three nicest hotels in this area will exceed $250 a night ("W",Roosevelt, Renaissance) but there are some other decent alternatives - Magic Castle Hotel, Holiday Inn Express Walk of Fame, Hilton Garden Inn (formerly Hollywood Heights Hotel) and a few others. Most of the downtown LA hotels would be much nicer than any of these, most of which are 2/3 star type places.

Corona del Mar, CA
Level Contributor
48,755 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in L.A.

If the picture in your profile is who is going, I would avoid Hollywood like the plague and stay Downtown. You look to be about my age and the kitchyness of Hollywood just annoys me. It isn't as seedy as it was 10-15 years ago, but it is tacky and touristy. If you were coming to do the Walk of Fame, go on the obligatory tour of the stars homes and all that junk, then sure, Hollywood is fine.

Four regular guys just coming out for the baseball games and some nice restaurants, Downtown will be great.

Hotels I would look at include Hilton Checkers, the Biltmore Hotel, the Omni and the LA Athletic Club for starters. See what prices you can get using the pricing tools here and HotWire.com.

Using the shuttle from Union Station works well and you can take the subway from downtown or the DASH bus depending on what day of the week it is.

Some restaurants to consider, Philippe the Original, across the street from Union Station, is where my father used to take me before Dodger games. It is where the French dip sandwich was invented and has been an LA institution for over 100 years. In the same vein is the Original Pantry Cafe. It has been in LA since 1924. It is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year I go there mostly for breakfast and like its sister restaurant next door, Riodan's Tavern for dinner. Both are owned by former LA mayor Richard Riordan. Look at Casey's Irish Pub, another place that belies the rumor that LA doesn't have character. :)

http://www.philippes.com/

http://www.pantrycafe.com/

http://213nightlife.com/caseysirishpub

Edited: 27 February 2012, 15:58
Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,680 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in L.A.

I'd go for Downtown too. I don't dislike Hollywood like scottca, but Downtown seems like a better fit. MachThree's right that much of Downtown is still too quiet at night, but presumably you'll be at the game then.

9. Re: Where to stay in L.A.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 01:16