We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Internal Flights - when should I book?

Werribee, Australia
Level Contributor
114 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Internal Flights - when should I book?

Hi Everyone,

We are planning to book flights from San Francisco to Las Vegas ($102) and from Las Vegas to San Diego ($60) for May.

Southwest looks to be the best option given that we can each take 2 checked bags without paying any extra.

My question is,do I need to book this far out or can we wait until closer to our holiday?

Thanks in advance :)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Internal Flights - when should I book?

If they're listed on the SW website, I'd book...especially if you want a flight at a certain time.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Internal Flights - when should I book?

I would book now, Southwest has a a fairly libera policy of allowing you to cancel and use the amount towards any other flight that is available. So if it is at the lowest fare level, book now.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Internal Flights - when should I book?

Also, did you look at the flights from Oakland (OAK) to Las Vegas, Oaklnad is just as easy to fly out of from San Francisco as SFO (Unless you are flying into SFO and just catching another flight).

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,663 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Internal Flights - when should I book?

When the least expensive tickets sell out(only a certain no. will be sold) then the prices will go up. IF you know your dates then I'd buy now!

Werribee, Australia
Level Contributor
114 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Internal Flights - when should I book?

Ahhh I love TA, fast replies and good information.

I will be booking oru internal flights today. Feels more and more real each time I book something!

Darkbeer - I'll check out Oakland for our flight, we're staying at Hotel Donatello in SF I think the distance to SF and Oakland airports is about the same, am I right? Should I check on the San Francisco forum?

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Internal Flights - when should I book?

Yes, from the city of San Francisco, most folks use the BART system to get to the airport, and both are about the same distance and time.

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Oakland_International_Ai…

One key point...

>>OAK has proven a popular alternative to San Francisco International. In 2008, 11.5 million passengers used the airport. Another convenience of OAK over SFO—in relation to the success of Southwest—is OAK's history of a high, on-time arrival percentage (of total flights inbound), despite many days of rainy and foggy weather for some months in each city. For 2009, OAK had the highest on-time arrival percentage among the 40 busiest North American airports.<<

7. Re: Internal Flights - when should I book?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2013, 10:20