We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

J-1 and Jobs in theme parks

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
1 review
Save Topic
J-1 and Jobs in theme parks

It'll probably never happen but, me and the BF have been talking about doing a J1 next year. We've narrowed it down to either Orlando or California because his preferences are anywhere in America, and i've always wanted to work in a theme park.

Orlando is first choice (as long as he likes it when we're there next month), but there's a good chance i'll change my mind by then

Universal and Islands FL have an International Student Programme which lasts 3 or 4 months that sounds perfect. I emailed them last night asking for more information and am waiting for a reply.

SeaWorld FL and all the other World of Disney parks have similar programme that includes accomadation. I'm going to contact them when I finish this.

Disney (both FL and CA) also have it, but it looks like you need to be doing a course in the field of work you apply is (restaurant, shop management etc.) Not sure if photography would come under that, because as far as I know they normally hire amateur photographers. I have to do more reading on that.

Disney also have a 90 day maximum or a 5 month minimum (two seperate programmes). For 90 days to you think thats 90 days of being employed by them or 90 days phyiscally working for them? Because I was hoping to do about 3 and a half or four months.

I still have to look into SeaWorld San Diego (that is CA, isn't it?) and Universal Hollywood

Other than all the parks, who else do you think I should contact? For each park, I'm also asking wheres a good area to look for accomadation in (except for World of Discovery obv)

Does any know any good sites for accomadation to get a rough idea of cost?

Other than employers, landlords, j-1 company (who also sort flights) and bank (about loans), who else should I contact for information on this?

Anything else I should do? Any tips, etc.?

What areas are each of the California parks in? And are there any I've missed for CA? I've never been to California, only to Florida, so I don't know it as well

California
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: J-1 and Jobs in theme parks

What's a J-1???

--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: J-1 and Jobs in theme parks

Cultural Exchange Visa.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,265 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: J-1 and Jobs in theme parks

I was wondering the same thing! It's a type of Visa, right?? A work Visa that allows someone to come over to the U.S. to work, right?

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,170 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: J-1 and Jobs in theme parks

<<I was wondering the same thing! It's a type of Visa, right?? A work Visa that allows someone to come over to the U.S. to work, right?>>

Yes. Students from overseas often use these to work in tourist areas in the summer.

Aisling...do you have any idea what the weather is like in the summer in Florida? Hot and steamy. You would not find ME there.

Try to do it in California.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,607 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: J-1 and Jobs in theme parks

I'd go for California too - and not only because I am biased :) The weather in CA will be better for one thing. Plus, I think southern California is more interesting than the Orlando area - more to do and see on your days off.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
25,518 posts
5,666 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: J-1 and Jobs in theme parks

Although our economy is improving, its still a tough time to find a job. Many people are applying for theme park jobs. There are lots and lots of people who apply. Not just your students - but also experienced workers who have not been able to find a job elsewhere. As such, locals will probably get preference for jobs. There are often 250 applications for 1 job position. As such, I'd probably steer you towards Florida unless you are able to figure out a way for Disney and photography work issue would work well.

Unless you know of other special international programs for theme parks in California (the Disney one sounds great if it works), I'd probably look at the other international programs in Florida.

Hopefully things get better here economically wise - but did want to let you know its a tough go still. Hope it all works out as both places are wonderful to visit and enjoy.

Huntington Beach
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: J-1 and Jobs in theme parks

Last year my city of Huntington Beach had a huge influx of Irish students here on J1 Visas who could not find jobs once here.. There were many who were promised jobs before they left home (I believe they said over 60 of them) at Knotts Berry Farm in Buena Park only to find once here, they were told their was no job due to the decline of business. Most then flocked to the beach (of course!) to find a summer job.

Craigslist.com has been a favorite website to find furnished shared apartment rentals. The students I knew had emailed people from the website from home and found potential places to stay once here. They rented a car at the airport and went straight to the apartments checking them out. Some places/people creeeped them out but they have always found a place by the end of the day. If the two of you want to share one bedroom, that will be your best bet to find someone willing to do a short term rental for shared 1 room.

Now, the ones I know (I've worked with some from Russia and Ireland) they both said that the year before they were on the East Coast. They all said they liked the West Coast better for the weather and people but added that the East Coast was more diversified in nationalities so they could blend in easier. They also had many places to choose from to live which was way easier to find because there were apartments (or companies) that hooked up J1 visas students together in furnished apartments. The girls from Russia liked that on the East Coast it was easy to find other J1 visa students to speak the native language while there so they didnt feel so far away from home. Here, they were more isolated. At first they were not sure about that but in the end liked that they were able to fully immerse themselves in our culture and food and had a great experience. The girls from Russia are coming back again this summer so they must have really liked it here.

Just thinking:

I had to laugh, when they arrived, they were stark white and easily identifiable that they came from another country just by the way they were dressed. When they left for home they were super tanned and had thrown out all their clothes and filled their suitcases with "American clothing". Lol..they had a great time although they never became fond of hamburgers!

8. Re: J-1 and Jobs in theme parks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 November 2010, 03:17