We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to wear in August??

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
36 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
What to wear in August??

We will be spending 3 weeks in Alaska in August. The trip starts in Juneau and ends in Anchorage and we will be hiking, camping and town-seeing along the way.

What is the BEST rain jacket, umbrella, gear to wear to stay dry, warm, but not too warm?

I'm a novice when it comes to camping for 3 straight weeks and I need some good recommendations.

Thanks!

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,520 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to wear in August??

Check "Top Questions about Alaska" then the thread "What clothes are recommended for summer travel in Alaska?"

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
36 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to wear in August??

Thank you! I'm trying to get the hang of this site! :o)

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,204 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to wear in August??

One thing to not worry about is fashion - Alaska prefers function over fashion, so don't worry about how things look. :)

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,152 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to wear in August??

Layers and waterproof. Funny thing about umbrellas, they say that is the drop dead giveaway on tourists, because locals don't use them :)

Edited: 26 April 2011, 23:59
Ketchikan
Destination Expert
for Ketchikan
Level Contributor
2,250 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to wear in August??

Fleece jacket or vest for insulation over wool or cotton hiking pants lined with silk if overnighting, Goretex lined hiking boots and wool socks and a good sturdy set of rain pants and parka. Those don't have to be expensive...just waterproof. We shop at REI and Campmor a lot. Red Ledge is one inexpensive line of raingear that lots of us wear in Southeast if we are just hiking, camping, etc with our family....not working all day or fishing open water. Leisure raingear LOL! And yes, no one uses umbrellas. When the tourists are in town, they are dangerously close to everyone's eyes and out in the woods you just whack tree limbs with them constantly. Use the hood on your jacket and don't fear a little water.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
1,184 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to wear in August??

Buy good rain gear that breathes, staying dry is number one. I agree lots of layers gives you ultimate flexibility for weather, especially as it changes during the day.In early morning I layer up but decrease layers as the day proceeds. Last August I got cold on an all day hike in the rain, had to crawl into sleeping bag to stop shaking. Look for quick dry underlayers, you will get wet backpacking and you want stuff to dry quickly when you get a good day. Good to go to REI and get advice, if you are hiking a lot don't go cheap on rain gear.

Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to wear in August??

what is REI ?

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,617 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to wear in August??

REI is an outdoor clothing and gear store. There is one in Norwalk, Danbury and West Hartford also one in Cranston RI. They also have an Internet site and online outlet store.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
1,184 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to wear in August??

Also one in Anchorage

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
494 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to wear in August??

Hi everyone,

I have read the top question answer and it is very helpful. My problem is that it is 102 degrees + in August here in Houston. The very few places that have the kind of clothing mentioned in the top questions are extremely expensive. (Especially since I will only need the items for 2 weeks.) I have bought some stuff on ebay, but not enough. Would it be feasible to wait until our 3 days in Vancouver or our time in Anchorage to purchase some of the clothing we will need for Alaska or really is it just as expensive there? A waterproof Jacket is about $250 plus they never have one in my size. (Usually they have 2 mediums available in one ugly style.) I did try mail order, but it wasn't what I thought it would be. I think it is better to touch before you buy! Thanks!