We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mobility problems when staying at the SRLM

Bridgend, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Mobility problems when staying at the SRLM

We have booked the SRLM for 3 weeks from the middle of July to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary and my wife's birthday. Please can anybody tell us if this resort is suitable for people with limited mobility. My wife is taking her mobility scooter with her so we are hoping we are able to get around this resort. Will we be able to get down to the beach, she can walk short distances. We have asked to stay on the Luna side as we heard it nice and quiet ,

I know we should have checked this before we booked it but didnt think at the time

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
104,497 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mobility problems when staying at the SRLM

There are several routes to the beach however for the most part you can avoid steps and use ramped walkways.

Oshawa
Level Contributor
65 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mobility problems when staying at the SRLM

stayed there 3 years ago and as mentioned there were several ways to the beach,the one used mostly was a steep set of steps but if I remember correctly there was a ramp to the right of the Luna side but not sure if this was scooter friendly to get on and off. There are many steps throughout the resort. My suggestion would be to try to switch to the Playa P as some have mentioned that accessibility is better

Oshawa
Level Contributor
65 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mobility problems when staying at the SRLM

stayed there 3 years ago and as mentioned there were several ways to the beach,the one used mostly was a steep set of steps but if I remember correctly there was a ramp to the right of the Luna side but not sure if this was scooter friendly to get on and off. There are many steps throughout the resort. My suggestion would be to try to switch to the Playa P as some have mentioned that accessibility is better

Dudley, United...
Level Contributor
2,146 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mobility problems when staying at the SRLM

from the mares side very steep steps to the beach from the luna side here is a slope you can go down its not very big

Dudley, United...
Level Contributor
2,146 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mobility problems when staying at the SRLM

if you stay on the beach in the day the cuban resturant is open for drinks and snacks

Bridgend, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mobility problems when staying at the SRLM

Thanks for all the advice. Is there a better hotel nearby which is more accessable for my wife with her scooter or do I stick with SRLM for all the good reviews it receive on TA. Its our first time in Cuba after going to the Dominican six times.

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
447 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mobility problems when staying at the SRLM

Hi Trecco, SRLM is perched on a hilly location with the beach accessible by the Luna-side ramp. We stayed there this past October and while we thought the resort was fine, it would not be my first choice if I had mobility issues due to the general layout. The buffet at SRLM is more congested as well with less room to get around.

The PP and the PCV are located roughly 15 km from SRLM and the geography is very flat compared to SRLM. We like to stay at PCV and that location might be easier for you and your wife. The paths are wide and flat and the walk to the beach entails crossing a flat wooden bridge. There is a bar/grill at the beach but the washrooms are located just beyond the wooden bridge, resort side. Also, the beach at PCV is a bit more narrow, so it might be easier to maneuver to your chairs at this beach. The first level rooms at PCV are very nice as well with small terraces outside the patio door.

Hope this helps and Happy Anniversary in advance.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
6,625 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mobility problems when staying at the SRLM

You may want to stay at Brisas Guardalavaca. It is another good place for people with mobility issues.

This resort is located close to the town of Guardalavaca and you would have no problem getting there. Your wife would probably enjoy going to the market. The vendors change daily.

Also, re Sol Luna - definitely not friendly for people with mobility issues. I walked thru the resort and that was the only thing that I did not like about the place. Getting down to the beach would be a challenge.

Mentioned in this post
Guardalavaca Beach
Guardalavaca Beach
1,223 Reviews
Cuba
Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
104,497 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mobility problems when staying at the SRLM

TreccoTaff:

You do face a difficult decision. As others have said the SRLM is not the best resort in the area for someone who has mobility issues.

I would agree with Stout_10 that a ground floor room at the Playa Costa Verde or the Playa Pesquero would be more suitable.

Why don't you get your TA price them up to give you an idea of the extra cost involved in switching hotels.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Playa Costa Verde
Hotel Playa Costa Verde
8,063 Reviews
Cuba
Playa Pesquero
Playa Pesquero
753 Reviews
Cuba
Bridgend, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mobility problems when staying at the SRLM

Thanks for all the posts, its been a great help.