We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Muslim racism and discrimination at riga airport in latvia

1 post
Muslim racism and discrimination at riga airport in latvia

Hello,

I just wanted to share my experience and ask if someone else has suffered from the same horrible

islamophobia experience in riga airport in latvia on my way to sweden.

I am a muslim girl in early twenties, i wear a hijab and long dresses, passing through the security check in riga, through the metal detector door no beep sound, but one lady proceed to check me with first a drug detector, nothing found, then she checked my scarf very thoroughly then she does the same with another type of detectors 3 times, i start to ask her whats wrong and she replied the rules.

after almost 10 min comes the bags, which has been scanned and they have literally taken everything out and put it on the bags holders and scan and rescan everytime 3 times, such a humiliating way, there were no other person that has been checked like that on all that time, only the one that looks muslim, for no reason other than that.

After that i asked to talk with their manager and how i can make a complaint, that person came i explained to him the situation although he was watching from far, asked him why they have checked me two many times and the others no, what was the reason behind such thorough inspection, and the response was i need to go outside and make a complaint on the desk.

After that i have looked on internet and seen that the country has a long racism history on the recent years with muslims and said yes now it makes sense or i tried to make myself believe that it should be like that in a European country.

Has anyone suffered from such discrimination in this airport ? i mean minority religious people.

A horrible experience that i dont wish to anyone.

alexandra fatima

31 replies to this topic
6 posts
1. Re: Muslim racism and discrimination at riga airport in latvia

Hello Ms Fatima!

You have written about Muslim racism and discrimination in Riga international airport in country where wearing hijab is prohibited. Why do you propogade that you were treated indiscriminately by airport security service because you're muslim.

It's their job to provide security and check for anything suspicious.

You were wearing your traditional dress hijab where the face is covered, it is unusual in our country, that is why you maybe expierenced some kind of intolerance, but in our society your culture is foreign and dangerous.

I feel sorry that you feel this way, but it's the fault of radical islamists who consolidated this view.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Riga
Level Contributor
1,504 posts
44 reviews
2. Re: Muslim racism and discrimination at riga airport in latvia

I am happy to hear that the security control in Riga Airport is effective.

That is for all the travellers safety and unfortunately necessary due

to some groups of people without respect for other humans.

I have been testet for explosives in many airports in all Europe and

my Latvian mother in law at 68 has just been testet for same i Riga airport.

It is not very wise of you to blame Latvia for a history with racism,

without checking that in that history Latvia was occupied by Russia

which indeed was very racistic towards the local people.

We must all suffer as a consequence of the actions of few religious extremists.

Edited: 22 March 2018, 10:55
6 posts
3. Re: Muslim racism and discrimination at riga airport in latvia

Why did you remove my answer it was in all forms compliant with trip advisor terms of use and with all necessary conduct of good will.

It's because your administration is liberal or communist view admirers?

4. Re: Muslim racism and discrimination at riga airport in latvia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 22 March 2018, 13:05

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
5,399 posts
28 reviews
5. Re: Muslim racism and discrimination at riga airport in latvia

Jānis - you posted the same thing twice, so some people voted one of the posts as a duplicate while others voted the other one as duplicate = both posts being removed.

Vilnius, Lithuania
Level Contributor
605 posts
62 reviews
6. Re: Muslim racism and discrimination at riga airport in latvia

People who wear too many clothes must undress for security. I remove scarf, jacket...You muslim and kept scarf and baggy clothes so they check manually. Drug and explosive tests are norms now, I have been checked too. Don't like- don't fly!

7. Re: Muslim racism and discrimination at riga airport in latvia

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 30 March 2018, 08:05

Vilnius, Lithuania
Level Contributor
605 posts
62 reviews
8. Re: Muslim racism and discrimination at riga airport in latvia

So you want to say that she had a survey conducted to see how many people were screened like her? I would like to see the results of this survey.

Like I said- don't like security, don't fly.

9. Re: Muslim racism and discrimination at riga airport in latvia

10. Re: Muslim racism and discrimination at riga airport in latvia

Reply to: Muslim racism and discrimination at riga airport in latvia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted