We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Few Riga Questions

Level Contributor
10 posts
21 reviews
Few Riga Questions

Hi Everyone,

Me and my partner always travel cold in January, UK doesn't do winter like it used to do.

We will be travelling out 5th January all prepped for winter.

We enjoy, beer, seafood, walking, outdoor pursuits and music.

Has anyone got any specific tips, must-do's or advice?

Cheers

A

7 replies to this topic
Ireland
Level Contributor
44 posts
16 reviews
1. Re: Few Riga Questions

Hi Antoinne C,

I will try to give you few tips as i grove up in Riga.

You will find beer everywhere, there is a lot of Pubs/Bars around old town. In some places you will find live music on Friday and Saturday. January can be very cold so make sure you bring good warm jacket with you, hat and scarf. It can be rainy and windy as mush as snowy this time of the year. Bring good walking boots with you as it can be very sleepy and you don't want to fall. Regarding seafood - a lot of restaurants do good seafood I am no sure which one is the best sorry. If you like outdoor I must definitely advise you to go to Jurmala (seaside) You can get there by train it's takes around 40 min on the train, tickets cost 3euro per person. Take train until Majori Stop cross the road and walk through Jomas Street. On Jomas street you will find very good restaurants.

In Riga most definetely take Hop on Hop off bus. You will learn a lot about Riga and will see a lot. My partners mom and da are Irish after bus tour they know about Riga more then me lol

I would highly advise you to visit Lido on Krasta street (you will need to take a taxi down there, it will be about 8 euro from the city center) You will find there a lot of seafood, local food and traditional food. They also brew their beer in there. The honey one is the best!

Where are you staying?

Let me know if you need any more details.

Julie

Level Contributor
10 posts
21 reviews
2. Re: Few Riga Questions

Julie,

Thanks for the extensive reply and excellent insight,

We’re travelling for 5 nights beginning of January and will definitely visit ge beach’s and the fantastic fish restaurant you recommend.

I’m particularly looking forward to the cuisine, cold and beers.

👍👍👍🤩🤩🤩

Thank you so much

A

Level Contributor
193 posts
1 review
3. Re: Few Riga Questions

Well, in recent years since like 2012 we don't have proper snow. It may be there or melt in a week. True snow starts at 20-30 cm and -10C.

Level Contributor
10 posts
21 reviews
4. Re: Few Riga Questions

I know you can't guarentee snow, but would love to see a covering or be able to travel to be able to trek in it.

Level Contributor
10 posts
21 reviews
5. Re: Few Riga Questions

Can anyone recommend traditional Latvian bars? I'm not really into the touristy/english/irish bars.

cheers

A

Jurmala, Riga...
Level Contributor
19 posts
11 reviews
6. Re: Few Riga Questions

One day recommend to visit Rundale Palace http://rundale.net/en/

Jurmala - I live there and cannot find something interesting in winter time here (only if You want visit Spa centre or aquapark):D Better I choose Sigulda or Cesis.

about bar - it is not tradicional latvian bar, but with best view to Riga (especially in cold weather) - on roof/26 floor Radisson Blue Hotel.

by the way - in all Riga You will see bistro brand Lido (like in Krasta street) - there is good food and beer (plus - fast and cheap price). It is not seafood restaurant - but tradicional latvian cuisine (plus You can find seafood too - but not meditarian style)

Level Contributor
10 posts
21 reviews
7. Re: Few Riga Questions

Fantastic help - Cheers everyone - less than 4 weeks to go can't wait

Reply to: Few Riga Questions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Riga