We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ventspils or Liepaja?

UK
Level Contributor
194 posts
7 reviews
Ventspils or Liepaja?

We’re travelling with 2 children 6 & 9. We’ve been to Latvia 3 times previously and loved it.

Any feedback on the choice between Liepaja and Ventspils?

5 replies to this topic
Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,351 posts
1 review
1. Re: Ventspils or Liepaja?

I haven’t been to either, sorry. But from doing research, I feel that I’d be interested in playing “treasure hunt” with the cow sculptures in Ventspils. That strikes me as being more kid-friendly than Liepaja.

Latvia
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: Ventspils or Liepaja?

I personally like Liepāja. Town. Beach. And the road to Liepāja is pretty. The area itself.

But Ventspils might be better since You are with children. It would make a very nice trip along coast side - from Ventspils to Mazirbe to Kolka to Malnsils. And You also can take a one day trip to Liepāja. So basically Ventspils is the middle way.

Level Contributor
192 posts
1 review
3. Re: Ventspils or Liepaja?

Ventspils for children. It has several big kids playgrounds. The seaside park has steam locomotive train working which would take you to the kids leisure park. Friendly prices.

Liepaja is better for architecture but not for kids.

Aarhus, Denmark
Level Contributor
4 posts
62 reviews
4. Re: Ventspils or Liepaja?

I would definitely say Ventspils. It is very clean, beach is really nice there and there is a lot of parks and playgrounds for kids. Liepaja is also nice, but in my opinion there is less to do and if you move out of the centre , it is pretty much dirty and unkempt.

If you're going to Ventspils by car, you can also stop in Kolkasrags (around 80 km from Ventspils) where the Baltic Sea meets the Gulf of Riga.

6 posts
5. Re: Ventspils or Liepaja?

I would choose Ventspils. Especially if you have children

Reply to: Ventspils or Liepaja?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Latvia