We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Russia to Latvia Or Reverse by Train

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
132 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Russia to Latvia Or Reverse by Train

As I don't find any appropriate forum for Trans Mongolia and subsequent Europe Journey, I posted my thread in Russia

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29445…

I want to travel between Riga and Moscow by Train and want to know below 2 questions.

1. I will travel in Indian passport however I have a valid residence card in EU (Temp residence card valid for 2017 issued from Hungary) May I enter to Latvia (Riga) from Moscow by Train without any additional Visa. I know latvia is part of EU and I should be able to enter if I have an EU member state issued residence permit but just need a confirmation if I am thinking right. Don't want to get messed up while in an overland trip to Europe from India.

2. The Train Tickets from Moscow - Riga or Riga to Moscow , can they issue Electronic Tickets? Or Its paper ticket like Trans Mongolian? I read most likely in Sea61 though Russian Rail shows them as 3P (Means Electronic Ticket) It is valid if I board from Russia to other direction however if I boardfrom Riga, I need paper ticket? Is this correct?

Thanks in advance

11 replies to this topic
Copenhagen, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Riga
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Russia to Latvia Or Reverse by Train

You must ask your embassy or the local Russian consulate about the rules.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
132 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Russia to Latvia Or Reverse by Train

I think you mean to ask Latvia Consulate, will do that. Just thinking if anyone had any first hand experience on EU Residence Permit.

Many Thanks for help.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Riga
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Russia to Latvia Or Reverse by Train

If you travel from Riga to Russia, you must ask the Russian consulate.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
132 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Russia to Latvia Or Reverse by Train

Well, sorry for confusion. I have Russian visa. What I wanted to ask in my first of 2 questions here is:

I will travel in Indian passport however I have a valid residence card in EU (Temp residence card valid for 2017 issued from Hungary) May I enter to Latvia (Riga) from Moscow by Train without any additional Visa.

So its about Latvia Entry, if I go reverse I have no doubt I need Russian Visa and I have that too.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Riga
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Russia to Latvia Or Reverse by Train

If you have valid residence card to EU, then its valid in all EU.

But if you need visa to enter EU from India, then that need to be valid too,

no matter from which country you enter an EU country.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
132 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Russia to Latvia Or Reverse by Train

Well understood. I don't need visa to enter Hungary as I have done it couple of times with my residence card. So I hope I don't need it either for Latvia too if I carry my Residence Card.

I am pretty sure about Schengen Visa case but was confused on Residence Card as its issued by specific member state and I was not sure if that works like a Schengen Visa which is respected by all member states.

Many Thanks for this help.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
132 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Russia to Latvia Or Reverse by Train

May I ask one more question here? Is the bus journey from Riga - Vilinus - Warsaw is scenic and should be done in day time? Or its better to travel that road in a night bus?

Also if anybody knows that Riga - Moscow Train needs paper ticket to travel or e-Ticket issued by Russian Rail is good enough.

I was looking at Seat61 and saw this:

To check train times & book online in either direction, use the Real Russia booking system here. Real Russia charge a 15-23% mark-up over ticket office prices, included in the prices they show. For journeys starting in Riga you'll need to have tickets sent to you at a small extra charge as the e-ticket option doesn't work for departure from Riga, only for departures from Moscow.

Not sure if Seat61 is correct as in Russia Rail site rzd.ru shows it as 3P (Eletronic Registration) and Real Russia also wrote e-ticket works from Riga-Moscow direction too, but any first hand information would be really nice.

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
768 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Russia to Latvia Or Reverse by Train

The bus journey is mostly flat countryside and lots of trees. No, not particularly scenic and you could do it just as well at night.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
132 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Russia to Latvia Or Reverse by Train

Thank you, that's a helpful tip, will take the night bus then.

Save Reply
10. Re: Russia to Latvia Or Reverse by Train

Hello sir I like to travel Moscow to Latvia can you please tell me eny information for visa and bus train tickets

Reply to: Russia to Latvia Or Reverse by Train
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted