We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wild camping in Haapsalu

Riga
2 posts
Wild camping in Haapsalu
Save

Need advice :)

We are planning to travel Estonian islands this weekend and want to stay for night around Haapsalu with tents, but somewhere out of official campsites (they are taking quite big price just for putting tent there), so in next morning we can get to first ferry to Hiiumaa. Is that legally allowed just to put tents, for example, at seaside somewhere near the town?

2 replies to this topic
Tallinn, Estonia
Destination Expert
for Tallinn
Level Contributor
794 posts
14 reviews
12 helpful votes
1. Re: Wild camping in Haapsalu
Save

Do you have some kind of transport? I think believe it's allowed to camp in (state-owned) Paralepa forest park next to Paralepa beach. There may even be special grounds.

In general you are not allowed to tent in a residential area, and outside of these you may not tent in someone's yard either, but stay 150+ meters from houses. Following this rule you may by default tent on private property (for one night only), but not if the owner has expressly forbidden it with signage or otherwise. In any case you may not start a fire except with the landowner's permission. State owned forests by default allow tenting, and there are numerous free camping grounds with facilities, just not quite near Haapsalu city center, which is why I'm asking about transport.

Riga
2 posts
2. Re: Wild camping in Haapsalu
Save

Yes - we will go by car, so I believe Paralepa forest is reachable place (we will be late in the evening and need to be back in early morning in Haapsalu, to take some freends who will be coming to Haapsalu and then get in time to ferry to Hiiumaa). Thanks for advice ;)

Reply to: Wild camping in Haapsalu
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Haapsalu
© 2022 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Ireland. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.