We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling overland from Tallin to St. Petersburg

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
247 reviews
Traveling overland from Tallin to St. Petersburg

I would love some advice on how best to travel overland from Tallin to St. Petersburg, in early September 2018. I am a 71 year old, traveling solo, so safety/convenience is paramount. Why overland? I want to see the place not just fly over it! Can this be done by train? Or is bus the better option? Any agency in Tallinn whom you recommend? I am very healthy, so comfort is not a priority, though it is welcome! Another issue: whatever mode of overland transport you recommend, I suppose I would arrive in St. Petersbug after dusk. How safe is it to do so? I do not speak Russian !!!!!

3 replies to this topic
Tallinn, Estonia
Destination Expert
for Tallinn
Level Contributor
663 posts
19 reviews
1. Re: Traveling overland from Tallin to St. Petersburg

There are trains, but they are still using old Soviet rolling stock, and tickets are actually more expensive than for the bus.

http://www.gorail.ee/en/timetable/

On the other hand, you could choose a top of the line luxurious bus for cheaper. It's about a hour slower than the train.

https://luxexpress.eu/en/tallinn-stpetersburg

I can't tell much about St Petersburg, unfortunately.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
9,301 posts
52 reviews
2. Re: Traveling overland from Tallin to St. Petersburg

You don't see a whole lot from the train. The two castles at the border (Narva/Ivangorod) are pretty cool, though, and if I remember correctly you get a glimpse of them at the river crossing. There's a much faster and more comfortable train service from Helsinki to St. Petersburg.

Level Contributor
192 posts
1 review
3. Re: Traveling overland from Tallin to St. Petersburg

I think RZD train uses new cars but I'm not 100% sure about it. Arriving time in St Pete 1.05 am is not nice. Helsinki has 4 daily faster trains which are nicer way to travel + ferry ride is awesome and you can see one more city. I'd go for that.

Reply to: Traveling overland from Tallin to St. Petersburg
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted