We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Year's Eve in Lithuania

Royal Oak, Michigan
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
New Year's Eve in Lithuania

We are Lithuanian-Americans and will be in Lithuania this year for the holidays. My in-laws do not expect us to spend the evening with them. We woud like it to be a magical New Year's Eve that we will always remember. Does anyone know of anything special?

We have had an invitaion to go to Norviliskiu Pilis (castle), but it is not

close to Vilnius and rather expensive. We would paying for ourselves and four guests. We can make a party at my husband's cousin's home, but I am searching for something very special. It may not exist, but any thoughts out there?

LT
Level Contributor
853 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: New Year's Eve in Lithuania

Norviliškės Castle IS special. It is supposed to be quite close to Vilnius, but expensive, yes, like anything else that is special.

If for you it is not close, then your options are very limited and everything (in theory) will be less special, unless you book Trakai Castle, or (practically) if you will manage to have a special Eve with special mood anyway, but that's 90% depends on you, your mood and intent :D.

I'd book a farmstead somewhere in the depth of the forest (by 'farmstead' one should understand some sort of rural guest house, like manor or something). But to recommend a farmsted, if you're dealing with people who come from abroad, is very risky, questions about service, prices.... one should choose himself if there is an intention. But the main thing is that the best places may be booked for the NY Eve already. And the question what is best for the local and what is best for the person who come from abroad is not clear at all :D .

Royal Oak, Michigan
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Year's Eve in Lithuania

Thanks for your post. We have very good friends in Lithuania who can do any

necessary foot wrok. However, I seem to be the organizer and event-planner, and I am far away in Michigan! This is very frustrating, becausee if I was in Lithuania,

I would have a very special evening planned already.

I have found several events in Palanga, which may be a problem if the roads are bad, that seem like fun

We may end up doing the traditional Lithuanian Vilnius thing- catered party at my husband's cousin's home for our friends, and then out fot the fireworks and music at midnight.

Thank you again.

LT
Level Contributor
853 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: New Year's Eve in Lithuania

"...which may be a problem if the roads are bad..."

Why bad? If they (events) are in Palanga itself (not somewhere among the dunes near Nemirseta or somewhere) then roads will be good, i.e. between Vilnius and Klaipėda the road A1 can't be bad in any case, and the road between Klaipėda and Palanga is not any worse, just driving is slower (lot of side roads thus more speed limits). And there always is an alternative connection Vilnius-Panevėžys-Šiauliai-Palanga, if some earthquake happens on the A1 (would be the 1st time since the dinosaur era).

The snow won't be a problem on the A1. If you were going to go to Dzūkija (SW direction) - then yes, the snow could be a serious obstacle.

And 2 examples of "farmsteads" i've mentioned previously (not suggestions, but examples), both in Vilnius district, both set in a pleasant (for any lithuanian) setting:

"Between The Pines" - http://www.tarppusu.lt/ ;

"Deer's Corner" - http://www.elniakampis.lt/ .

But "the events" then will depend exclusively on the organizers :D .

Vilnius, Lithuania
Level Contributor
350 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Year's Eve in Lithuania

I myself am going to Nida this year for New Year's. It is literally the farthest option (in terms of distance) from Vilnius that you could consider. However, the atmosphere in this small town and the nature at any season is beyond comparison. It is the absolute best that Lithuania has to offer, even in winter. I think it has not been announced what concerts or events there will be this year, but there is a tradition to have free fish soup on the morning of the new year's every year :)

Royal Oak, Michigan
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Year's Eve in Lithuania

Thank you for your post. I had not even considered Nida.

I can imagine that New Year's Eve in Nida would be a very special and intimate celebraton.

And where else can one find fish soup for New Year's Day breakfast?

Do you have any hotels/inns at which you would suggest staying?

Also, there are eight of us spending this holiday together. Would you recommend renting an SUV for transportation?

Thank you again..

p.s. Do you live in Lithuania currently?

Royal Oak, Michigan
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Year's Eve in Lithuania

tadasmm, Thank you for providing this information. We have no idea of the way roads are maintained in snowy times in LIthuania. Sometimes in Michigan, they are slippery and very dangerous. You have made wonderful suggestions. I,

the event-planner, will be following up on yur suggestions.

Happy Holidays : - ))

Royal Oak, Michigan
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Year's Eve in Lithuania

plumbum,

I see you are from Vilnus, so of course you live in Lithuania!

Happy Holidays to you!

Vilnius, Lithuania
Level Contributor
350 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Year's Eve in Lithuania

Yes I am from Vilnius. I do not have particular recommendations for hotels, as mostly I have stayed at private accomodation of friends etc. I think the fish soup can be found in the centre of the town, the municipality square or by the marina. It is a very small place, so I think if you ask someone they will surely let you know. Driving to the seaside should be safe, the road to Nida from the ferry may be in a worse condition if it will be snowing heavily etc. I think an SUV would be a nice option probably.

Royal Oak, Michigan
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Year's Eve in Lithuania

Thank you for all of your suggestions. We are seriusly conisdering this as an option.

Linksmu Svenciu!

Vilnius, Lithuania
8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: New Year's Eve in Lithuania

In case you need some ideas not only for the New Year's Eve, there is a great activity very close to Vilnius - husky sled rides and entertnainment with Inuit ;)

Check it out: www.nuotykiuakademija.lt/index.php?item_id=4

and have a nice stay!