We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in Bratislava

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Safety in Bratislava

Me and my friend are visiting Bratislava this month and we're both young females. I was just wondering about how safe the city is? Our flight arrives at 11pm and we need to get to our hostel. Is public transport a bad idea at this time, or would we be safer getting an Uber? Also, how safe is it to be a tourist generally? Are there many pickpockets around and are there any unsafe areas/pubs/bars etc that we should avoid?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Mentioned in this post
Bratislava
Bratislava
Bratislava Region, Slovakia
13 replies to this topic
Bratislava, Slovakia
Level Contributor
777 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety in Bratislava

Bratislava is relatively safe - certainly not more dangerous than average European capital. Using public transportation is not an issue at any time. If there is a convenient bus towards your destination at that time, feel free to take it. Also note that Uber is currently not available in Bratislava but you can use Taxify, which works on the same principle. It's a good idea to install it and have it ready, just in case you would need a taxi.

Petty crime such as pickpockets does occur but no more than in other towns of similar size. If you take regular precautions, you will be fine.

Obchodna ulica (street where all the cheap alcohol is :)) recently gained attention for being somewhat dangerous at nights. In my experience, there was indeed some amount of dangerous behaviour from overly drunk people but at the same time, I always felt they only care about "their group" and as long as you don't interact with them, they don't care about you. Police recently increased their presence there during nights. With that being said, you might want to avoid this street at nights, there is nothing worthy there anyway (except McDonald's open until 2 AM :)). During daytime it's absolutely OK and safe (just ugly and again, not worth visiting).

Mentioned in this post
Bratislava
Bratislava
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety in Bratislava

This is helpful, thank you! I read on another Bratislava forum post somewhere that Uber is available so thank you for warning me in advance that it's not!

I'll make sure we take standard precautions then. I think we're sensible so hopefully we'll be fine!

Mentioned in this post
Bratislava
Bratislava
Bratislava, Slovakia
Destination Expert
for Bratislava
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety in Bratislava

It is very safe, although obviously isolated incidents do occur and you shouldn't do anything risky. Keep alert in the Old Town for pickpockets (not a big problem, but they do exist and target tourists) and drunken people - but there are plenty of nice, normal people and police around.

Hopin and Taxify are both good apps. Never hail a taxi on the street.

Enjoy! The safety here is one of the best things about the city. Saturday night in BA feels a million times better than Sat night in the UK, for example.

Bratislava, Slovakia
Level Contributor
92 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety in Bratislava

If you go out at night to party, then I would recommend to leave the club after 1PM directly to your cab. Do not use public transportation at this hour imo if you want to make sure nothing happens to you. With this principle I never witnesses any sort of crime happen to me. Again, it´s worth those extra few Euros to spend when leaving the club or similar at a late hour. I would highly recommend for you to take this precaution. So no, Bratislava isn´t a "dangerous" city. Enjoy your trip! :D

Edited: 11 June 2018, 13:00
Mentioned in this post
Bratislava
Bratislava
Bratislava, Slovakia
Level Contributor
777 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety in Bratislava

I use public transportation at night all the time and I'm yet to witness any incident at all. It's very safe, at worst it gets a bit loud.

Bratislava, Slovakia
Destination Expert
for Bratislava
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety in Bratislava

Agree with The810. Nightbusses are fine and you have safety in numbers. As long as you don't have a dangerous walk from your stop to your home (not many places, lets face it) then they are fine. Never seen anything bad on one.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety in Bratislava

Thank you for all your replies! It's a relief to hear that night buses are okay because I'd feel wary about getting on one of them in the UK. Clearly it's going to be safer to leave the country!

Bratislava, Slovakia
Destination Expert
for Bratislava
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety in Bratislava

Haha. Well, Slovak buses in the day are freakishly silent (nobody talking to each other, or doing so in hushed voices) so the baseline is set low :)

I doubt you'll need to take a nightbus or taxi, as I'm sure you'll be centrally located. Let me know the street you will stay on and I will give you an overview of the area, if you like.

By the way, check all bus times here: imhd.sk

And read the info about tickets, either on the above site or on the top questions here.

Bratislava
Destination Expert
for Bratislava
Level Contributor
330 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safety in Bratislava

I am native born female from Bratislava. If you use common sense you should be ok. I never afraid even beeing alone in the city centre in the night. Of course, not beeing drunk;)

Mentioned in this post
Bratislava
Bratislava
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safety in Bratislava

Sorry for my slow reply!

AWBee, we are staying in the Old Town on the same road as the hospital, quite nearby to it. We shan't be using taxis other than to get from the airport to where we're staying, but we will likely be using buses so thank you for that link!

Edited: 16 June 2018, 23:32
Reply to: Safety in Bratislava
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bratislava