We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Current Situation

Level Contributor
86 posts
Current Situation
Save

Hi there

Just wondering what the current situation is in Slovakia now

Just read an article from the 10/9 regarding Norway advising citizens not to travel to Slovakia.

We have flights this Wednesday so wondering what to do

Kind Regards Dawn

8 replies to this topic
Bratislava, Slovakia
Destination Expert
for Bratislava
Level Contributor
3,324 posts
1. Re: Current Situation
Save

The situation is worsening, as expected. However the number of deaths is still very low, and life more or less goes on as normal at the moment.

But from tomorrow, nightlife has to be shut by 23:00 (I think, I've heard conflicting reports) and in the near future there will be strict restrictions on the number of people at indoor and outdoor events. You can check for the latest news here: https://spectator.sme.sk/c/22486654/czechia-may-be-added-to-the-red-list-and-more-new-rules-are-put-in-place.html

The bigger issues are whether you think you might have to go into isolation when you return from Slovakia - best to check with your home country about that.

Bratislava, Slovakia
Level Contributor
4,990 posts
87 reviews
28 helpful votes
2. Re: Current Situation
Save

It's a bit grim, Slovakia has always been on a bit more "panicky" side of things during the pandemic. However, most places are open normally and you can still have a decent trip if you don't mind omnipresent masking and some social distancing. I believe restaurants and bars can be open normally, even after 23:00, the curfew was only meant to apply to organised events (and even then I'm not sure if it actually passed).

Frankly, it's not a destination I'd choose these days but things are open and if you already booked your trip, there's aren't many reasons to cancel at this point.

Edited: 13 September 2020, 18:57
Bratislava, Slovakia
Level Contributor
4,990 posts
87 reviews
28 helpful votes
3. Re: Current Situation
Save

My bad, restaurants and bars indeed have to close at 23:00, I finally found the decree. Well...

Level Contributor
86 posts
4. Re: Current Situation
Save

Hi there

Why would you not choose Slovakia

Level Contributor
86 posts
5. Re: Current Situation
Save

Basically we just want to get some walks in and have a change of scenery

Masks and social distancing is the norm for us

Cheers Dawn

Bratislava, Slovakia
Level Contributor
4,990 posts
87 reviews
28 helpful votes
6. Re: Current Situation
Save

Then you will be absolutely fine :)

Level Contributor
86 posts
7. Re: Current Situation
Save

Which is the best lake in Slovakia for swimming, depending on the weather of course

Hoping to travel all round Slovakia in the 2 weeks, Also thinking of a few days in Kosice

Cheers Dawn

Bratislava, Slovakia
Destination Expert
for Bratislava
Level Contributor
3,324 posts
8. Re: Current Situation
Save

Lakes: in Bratislava you can swim in Drazdiak or Zlate Piesky. They are 'city lakes' but are both clean and have some attached amenities (bars, restaurants, toilets) and give a good taste of what locals do to relax. Don't expect unspoiled nature or anything like that though. But they will be nice and quiet during the week :)

There are some wilder lakes at Cunovo and Jarovce (note that it's forbidden to swim in the former, or the bigger lake there at least)

There are loads of lakes in Slovakia, but tourist season is ending and they will be cold and maybe won't have so may facilities out of season. The lakes around Banska Stiavnica are lovely (I've been to Klinger at the height of summer and many people were swimming) but not sure how it is in September.

Edited: 13 September 2020, 23:10
Reply to: Current Situation
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
US$USD
Ireland
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Ireland. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.