We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

High Tatras

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
1 helpful vote
High Tatras
Save

Hi All,

Looking to take a trip abroad to somewhere where we can enjoy some hiking and not have to spend too much time in densely populated places....

I’ve seen that the High Tatras mountains might fit this, so just have a few questions:

1. How is driving in this area? (Not driven abroad before).

2. We are comfortable walking around 7-10 miles per day, are there appropriate trails for this?

3. Is it easy enough to stay in towns nearby and head up to trails each day?

9 replies to this topic
Bratislava, Slovakia
Level Contributor
4,986 posts
87 reviews
28 helpful votes
1. Re: High Tatras
Save

1. You should have no problems in summer. Of course you need to get acquainted with traffic rules (basically the same as anywhere in continental Europe), but otherwise there's nothing special. Some very minor roads may be in a bad conditions, but that simply means you'll have to drive slowly :)

2. You should have no trouble finding hikes of that distance. Of course a lot depends on what type a hike you want (some are more demanding than others, either because of elevation or technique).

3. Yes.

Shrewsbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canary Islands, Shrewsbury
Level Contributor
13,897 posts
883 reviews
367 helpful votes
2. Re: High Tatras
Save

My wife is Slovak and I have been visiting Slovakia for over 20 years. Driving is generally no problem, the roads can be very windy in places in the tatras, but fine if you take it steady.

Around Bratislava the traffic can be heavy, but if you live in Bristol it shouldn’t be a problem.

For car hire, I can recommend a company called Abrix, we have used them many times and they are excellent.

https://www.abrix.sk/en/

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
3. Re: High Tatras
Save

If you're going only to the High Tatras I wouldn't drive at all. It is prfectly well served by trains.

Bratislava, Slovakia
Level Contributor
4,986 posts
87 reviews
28 helpful votes
4. Re: High Tatras
Save

Unfortunately, Slovakia still requires masks on trains so car is definitely the way to go these days.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
5. Re: High Tatras
Save

I hate to wear masks too, that's why I took my first post-COVID trip to Czechia where masks are no longer mandatory and hardly anyone is wearing one.

That said I doubt the OP is leaving tomorrow and the measures could be relaxed in the meantime.

Shrewsbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canary Islands, Shrewsbury
Level Contributor
13,897 posts
883 reviews
367 helpful votes
6. Re: High Tatras
Save

A rental car is a much better option than trains and will offer far more flexibility.

Bratislava, Slovakia
Level Contributor
4,986 posts
87 reviews
28 helpful votes
7. Re: High Tatras
Save

#5 - Based on current general psychosis I don't see masks going away from Slovakia anytime soon (Hungary is another matter, I'm happy to see locals are quite reluctant to wear them, so hopefully it won't be long). So while I agree the train would normally be much better option, it won't be the case anytime soon.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
8. Re: High Tatras
Save

"I'm happy to see locals are quite reluctant to wear them, so hopefully it won't be long)"

Yeah, the rebel spirit! :-)

Bratislava, Slovakia
Level Contributor
20 posts
9. Re: High Tatras
Save

1) driving is OK. like in the rest of the central and eastern europe))) it takes some 4-5 hours from BA to poprad, depending on the situation in zilina, strecno and ruzomberok. trains are fine, but now with the hystery aroubnd face masks in the trains i wouldn´t bother to use train...

2) download "mapy.cz" application and then offline maps for slovakia. it is great application which shows you all the roads, hiking paths etc. i wrote more about the the hiking in tatras in another thread in slovakia, just check it

3) yes it is. tatras are small enought that every trip can be done in one day. stay in poprad, nova lesna (there are a lot of private appartmans and family houses offering the housing and the quality is quite fine), gerlachog, svit etc. there is a train goind from poprad to strbske pleso via stary smokovec, as well as to tatranska lomnica, the connection is very well and the train is far the best for moving around as many hiking paths start at the train stations. also, you can use buses, they are quite freqent and they can take you to the areas not covered by trains (e.g. to "biela voda", where you can take the yellow path to zelene pleso, which is the hike you might like a lot).

Reply to: High Tatras
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
US$USD
Ireland
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Ireland. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.