We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budapest First Timer - Hotel Help

New York
Level Contributor
139 posts
11 reviews
Budapest First Timer - Hotel Help

Good Morning All - I will be traveling to Budapest mid April for a 3 night stay and need help in narrowing down my hotel selection. Options I have found that I think will fit my needs are:

Art'otel

Hotel Astoria

Carat Boutique

I would like to be centralized so that I am in walking distance to the many great attractions and restaurants. I would like the cost per night to be no more than 100 USD. I would like the hotel to offer a decent breakfast as well as have a restaurant on site for our first night of arrival as we will only be arriving into Budapest at 7pm and then will need to get transportation from the airport to the hotel so it will be late. Thank you in advance.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
38 reviews
1. Re: Budapest First Timer - Hotel Help

These are all VERY different hotels.

I am not familiar with Carat other than the Google maps location. It is right in the center of Budapest activity and very close to Gozsdu Udvar...a commercialized nightlife and dining center. As far as easy food options, this is your best choice. You are also steps from the transit epicenter - Deak Ferenc Ter. The largest downside is your proximity to Gozsdu Udvar, which invites partiers and stag dos and may make it very noisy. This also does not seem to be a proper hotel, thus services will be reduced or nonexistant (again, I'm not familiar with the hotel, and am making a lot of inferences).

Hotel Astoria is a dated yet well maintained and somewhat historic hotel. I've stayed her a few times and while they advertise a great dining room and bar, I've never been compelled to eat here. Both tend to be empty. They include a minimal breakfast but don't expect it to be substantive. There is an Tesco grocery across the street and a Molnar for pastries and coffee in the morning. From my perspective, this has the best location as the metro is right outside your door. The hotel is also within walking distance of dining, nightlife and sites. The area is rather quiet at night, but that is changing.

There are restaurants on Dohany U (including Fausto's...one of the finest kitchens in Budapest) and Rakoczi that should be open upon your arrival...and worst case there is a McDs next door. I quite like Bali Cafe, across the street. Not memorable, but good and it is open until 11:30. Auguszt Cukraszda is within a block for some of the best cakes in the city. Kalvin Ter is a quieter, less commercial version of Gaozsdu Udvar and roughly a half mile walk or short bus ride.

Art'Otel is one of the best boutique hotels in Budapest sitting in Buda along the banks of the Danube. This is an extremely modern hotel. I cannot speak of the kitchen in house but I would expect it to be solid. The downside is a relative lack of known dining options in Buda and a traditional early closing time. It's roughly a 15 minute walk across the bridge into Pest or a elevator ride up to the castle district (where you should know what restaurants you are looking for as many are tourist traps with poor quality food and higher prices) for more extensive offerings. Many who prioritize convenience and want easy access to sites, food and nightlife stay in Pest. Those who don't mind trading lack of convenience for peace and great views often opt for Buda.

All in all:

1) If you want to be in the center of everything, prefer commercial restaurants and don't mind the noise that goes along with it you may want to choose Carat.

2) If you prioritize convenience over a beautiful hotel and over the top rooms, prefer more boutique dining establishments and want a bit of peace and quiet, choose astoria.

3) If you prioritize a very nice hotel with an over the top room to convenience and phenomenal views, choose ArtOtel.

Note that Budapest sites are rather spread out, so no place is close to everything. However, as a city it is rather compact, so none of these options are a trek from the action. In fact, to walk to all three of these hotels would only take 45 mins and cover 1.25 miles. Carat and Astoria are less than half a mile apart.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
72 reviews
2. Re: Budapest First Timer - Hotel Help

stay on the pest side as there is much more there. there are awesome air bnb options which I used and found much cheaper.

New York
Level Contributor
139 posts
11 reviews
3. Re: Budapest First Timer - Hotel Help

I appreciate all your insight. Are there any hotel recommendations you could provide that have what I am looking for. I only just started my research and won't be heading to Budapest until April so I have some time to find what fits my needs. I prefer close proximity to the city center but of course would like my surroundings to be quiet come bedtime. I'd like to keep the price under 100 USD per night. Being that I live in New York - I am accustomed to the finer restaurants so of course I want to be able to try "the best" in Budapest. Can you recommend some lunch spots that won't break the bank as well as some dinner spots that are just simply not worth missing. Thank you in advance.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
38 reviews
4. Re: Budapest First Timer - Hotel Help

I'm not sure how Astoria does not meet your needs. Your price point is a bit tough for a fine hotel. Feel free to offer other options you see in your price range.

Edited: 20 January 2016, 14:39
New York
Level Contributor
139 posts
11 reviews
5. Re: Budapest First Timer - Hotel Help

Other options I have found that might work well are :

Fraser Residence

ROOMbach Hotel

Thoughts?

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
3,380 posts
128 reviews
6. Re: Budapest First Timer - Hotel Help

Hello Knighty016,

Of your initial 3 selections, I too really enjoy the Art'otel. Yes, it's in Buda (you'd think that's a crime on this forum). However, it's a short 15-minute gorgeous walk across the wonderful chain bridge into Pest and the heart of tourist central. As I live on the Buda side, I always enjoy my ride across the bridge knowing I'm leaving the hectic and loud (and tons of fun) Pest side, and finding solace in Buda. The Art'otel for $100 is a solid deal - especially if you can score a river view. With a river view you will enjoy awesome sight lines of the parlament, Margit and Chain bridges, Gresham Palace, etc.

I have stayed in the Art'otel many nights some years back and was quite pleased. The rooms are comfortable and the breakfast is quite good with a range of many items. And note - the Art'otel is only about 400 meters from Metro Line 2 which can whisk you around town..... I absolutely love a view from my hotel rooms. Even though I typically do not spend much time in the room, I do enjoy throwing back the curtains and thinking "damn, that's a great view"......I can recall many great views from many properties - it sticks with me. Not knowing your specific nights in April, you may want to have a look at Lanchid 19 (Buda side along riverfront, close to Chain bridge) which will provide great views. The Aria hotel, although likely well above your target price - a fantastic property.

Concerning restaurants - Budapest has many wonderful kitchens and at a great value as compared to NYC. Without knowing your food likes and desires - please do share - here are a few dinner options I would look into, and if aligned with your likes - make reservations soon:

1. Comme Chez Soi - #1 here on TA for many reasons. Best foie gras dish in the world. Service is wonderful, as is the food. http://www.commechezsoi.hu

2. Baraka - one of the best Hungarian chefs serving awesome tasting international cuisine that mirrors art. With a cocktail and wine list to fill a wish list, Baraka is fantastic and one of my favorites. http://www.barakarestaurant.hu

3. Arany Kaviar - located close to the castle, this is an elegant, white-glove service type of place. Food well beyond caviar and service second to none. Eat and drink well here, and then have a romantic walk around the castle district. http://www.aranykaviar.hu

4. Fausto's - Budapest does Italian well, and none better than Fausto's in an elegant setting. The less-formal Fasuto Osteria is a great lunch spot (under the same roof). http://fausto.hu/home

You can see some of my other favorites here on TA in my "Best Food in Budapest" overview....http://www.tripadvisor.com/Guide-g274887-k606-Budapest_Central_Hungary.html

Enjoy!

Jeremy

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
38 reviews
7. Re: Budapest First Timer - Hotel Help

Costes and onyx are the two most regarded Michelin star restaurants.

I must share Jeremy's taste because everything I've tried under his recommendation, I love. JohnFarago is another foodie...we have many points of agreement and disagreement, though by no means is he wrong...we just have different taste.

Rochester, Michigan
1 post
1 review
8. Re: Budapest First Timer - Hotel Help

I'm staying at the hotel Astoria. I like it a lot, but that's probably because I disliked my hotel in Germany. The Astoria metro stop is outside the door, and the m3 line is 3-4 blocks away. It's reasonably priced, centrally located, and the rooms are dated but nice (assuming you understand the difference between euro hotels and America hotels. Anyway, I would stay there again.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
38 reviews
9. Re: Budapest First Timer - Hotel Help

I have not even heard of Fraser residence....but the location is horrible.

Roombach is right by gozsdu udvar and while not on one of the main access streets, may give you the same noise problems. I think you are less likely to have noise provlems.

It would be helpful if you advised what is wrong with Astoria...it seems to meet all of your criteria.

10. Re: Budapest First Timer - Hotel Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2017, 05:16