We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best photographic points

Which Budapest hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NJ
Level Contributor
714 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Best photographic points

Looking for view points to take memorable shots of the city, architecture, statues, fountains, people. Suggestions for best time of the day will also be appreciated.

Am I correct that sunset view of the Pest side should be good from the Castle District? What time is good to take pictures of the Buda Side?

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
197 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Best photographic points

Top of Gellért Hill (Citadella)

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
197 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Best photographic points

Sorry, I misunderstood your question. St Stephen Basilica is one of the highest buildings on Pest side. You could have a great view from the steeple of St Stephen.

Edited: 03 March 2012, 18:21
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
33,054 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best photographic points

From just where the funicular lets you off

…shutterfly.com/media/…

Walking withi Margeret Island

…shutterfly.com/media/…

…shutterfly.com/media/…

Along the Liszt Ferenc

…shutterfly.com/media/…

And +1 for the top of the Basilica

…shutterfly.com/media/…

Maybe even a trip on the Danube at night...

…shutterfly.com/media/…

…shutterfly.com/media/…

Pjk

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best photographic points

If you time it just right, the shot from the terrace at the Marriott toward the castle and/or Lanchid (chain bridge) will give you an amazing view of the Danube (Duna). Depending on the time of year and clarity, the river will light up like a billion pennies shimmering with the castle in the background.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best photographic points

The Castle District is the most photogenic area of Budapest. There are plenty of great photos of the Castle Hill area itself. And it also has the best viewpoints for taking panoramic shots of Pest. Because Pest is so flat, there's no natural viewpoints.

In Pest, you will get no great panoramic shots, but there are plenty of great photos to be taken in the area around Parliament. However, the best photo in Budapest would be the shoes along the Danube, just below Parliament.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,591 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best photographic points

I have to disagree with retorfuturistic. There are better views from Citadella. as far as panoramic views are concerned. Just try to get there fairly early, before the haze (smog) arrives. Also be sure to look west across the Buda Hills as well. From Citadell, you can look down onto Castle Hill, up and down the Danube from a bridge I haven't crossed up to the pair of bridges connecting Margits Island to Buda and Pest. No, it won't give you the best (and most famous) view of the Partliament from Castle Hill.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,706 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best photographic points

Unless you have a high quality telephoto lens, this is the view you get from the castle. The view from the citadel will be even farther away.

gillesvidal.com/sziget2008/budapestchateau.h…

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
2,824 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best photographic points

Hey rh1,

Of all of the shots I have taken across the city throughout the years, here is a single favorite that stands above the rest. Head to area of Akademia and Zoltan utca near to the parliament in the late afternoon. There lies a fantastic framed shot of the parliament, framed by classic architecture of the surrounding buildings, street lights roped over the street and if you're fortunate an old Trabant or Fiat.

The target day is typically a Saturday or Sunday when the traffic is light.

One other is from the Buda side. Head for the stairs at the end of Hunfalvy utca. Here you will also find a framed parliament shot with classic lights, buildings and a wonderful staircase. You'll likely have to walk down to Szao Ilonka, as we have a tree growing off of Hunfalvy that impairs the shot from hat vantage point.

Enjoy.

Jeremy

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,909 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best photographic points

Fishermans Bastion, day or night.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best photographic points

I am a snap-type photographer, very trigger happy with no formal training. I have taken some great pictures that really captured the spirit and atmosphere of the city from the Citadella (Budapest overview), inside the great market hall (details and people), in Óbuda (around the main square)and on the Childrens' Railway (the black and white pictures came out really well). More traditional photos would be in the Castle area at night (architecture and Pest overview). The bonus is that the Fisherman's bastion can be accessed for free at night time. There are great photos of fantastic architecture to be had all over the city, all you have to do is look. My personal favourites are in districs 1, 2, 5, 6, 7 and 9. Or how about a snap taken inside a station on the Millennium line? Those stations are so cute.