We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DRD Bus Venice to Ljublyana and return

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
DRD Bus Venice to Ljublyana and return

Does anyone know if this bus is still operating and is it reliable now?

6 replies to this topic
Portland, OR
Level Contributor
1,861 posts
28 reviews
1. Re: DRD Bus Venice to Ljublyana and return

I used them last year. They still have a website, so I assume they are still operating. I have used them a few times over the years.

http://www.drd.si/en/

There is more competition now than in the past. There's GoOpti. There's FlixBus. And, soon (September if latest schedule holds), you'll be able to take the train via Trieste.

Edited: 08 July 2018, 07:28
1 post
2. Re: DRD Bus Venice to Ljublyana and return

On August 16, 2018 my husband and I along with another couple trying to travel from Ljubljana to Venice had a HORRIBLE AND DANGEROUS experience with DRD. I now realize that other people have had very similar experiences after digging online to find just a few reviews of the company.

To sum it up we arrived at the Union hotel just before 7:55am for an 8:15am pick up, 8:30am passes and we start along with the other couple waiting for the DRD bus start trying to call the two phone numbers listed. Not till 9:15 do I finally get through to someone and she seems surprised and said she would call back in 5 mins. 15 minutes pass and she calls back and says she is organizing a driver he will be there in 10-15 mins. Well after more waiting and trying to call the company multiple times again with no answer we were picked up just before 11am. So over 2.5 hours late to pick us up. The driver brought his girlfriend and her dog neither of which said hello to anyone or offered any sort of apology for anything. They seemed to claim they did not speak english. We made three stops (the first one we had no idea for what and then the other two were so the driver could take a smoke break). The dangerous part was his driving. He drove so so so fast with a van that had squeaking brakes the whole time, he was cutting off and flicking off other vehicles, answering phone and reading and replying to text messages while driving so so so fast with bad brakes, and talking and looking at his girlfriend the whole time. Instead of taking us to where we were suppose to be dropped off he drove us to the airport first to pick up two women who were being driven back to Ljubljana (reminder we are already 2.5+ hours late). He also did not know where to go to pick these two women up and drove over the curb to get out of the lot with a gate. After talking to these two women who got picked up I found out they were completely lied to. The person from DRD that they talked to said there was an accident and the highway was blocked. This was a complete lie.

Similarly to the other reviews I could find when we asked about the company at the hotel and the people at the airport they had no idea who DRD was. Overall, we were late, were given no apologies nor refund, barely were able to contact DRD, and feared for our lives. I DO NOT RECOMMEND DRD!!!!

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
19,181 posts
62 reviews
3. Re: DRD Bus Venice to Ljublyana and return

Kristin, this was indeed a sad experience. But alas, if you have found time to research them after the fact, why on earth have you not done same before booking them?!

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
4. Re: DRD Bus Venice to Ljublyana and return

DRD is a small company primarily running workers' transfers across the Balkans and this single line from Venice to Ljubljana. As already mentioned, there are better (safer and more reliable) options between Venice and Ljubljana.

Edited: 29 August 2018, 09:24
Portland, OR
Level Contributor
1,861 posts
28 reviews
5. Re: DRD Bus Venice to Ljublyana and return

DRD does seem like an odd company. But none of my experiences with them were like the OP's, which was off course awful. The last time I used them from Venice to Ljubljana, last year, I was in an "overflow van" with just one other person going back to Ljubljana, and we did not stop once - very fast getting there, which is what I wanted.

The main reason to use DRD is that they have scheduled daily service between Venice and Ljubljana. I have never pre-booked service with them. Last year, I had expected to take the train and bus via Trieste on to Ljubljana, but my plane was late into Venice, so I just picked up DRD at Mestre train station spur of the moment. If I were going again, and could commit to a specific time, I'd probably use FlixBus if they had a good scheduled time or GoOpti. I didn't even realize they picked up from a hotel - that's where I would have used GoOpti instead, so I could pick the most convenient time for me.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
31 reviews
6. Re: DRD Bus Venice to Ljublyana and return

Important update to this topic: we booked the DRD bus before leaving Canada, all seemed well. On the day, Saturday 29 September, the DRD bus (minivan actually, in poor condition) was late picking us up (3 passengers - myself and husband and gentleman from S. Korea). After lengthy arguments between driver/assistant and other passengers already in the van (in Slovenian I believe) some of the passengers got off, 3 remained. DRD bus then drove all the way back to Venice Mestre (from which we had just travelled) then to other areas inc cruise port eventually arriving some 2 hours later to a remote area where they dropped off orginal passengers, and waited until another vehicle picked them up before setting off eventually to Ljubljana. Only comment we got was “Ljubljana now”, and a laugh. Got the impression driver/assistant and original passengers were known to each other. One bathroom break then another stop for a smoke break (for them) as I asked them not to smoke in van.

Absolutely no concern for passengers, in fact highly amused and just shrugged off our concerns/questions. No English spoken or understood.

Seemed to be asking for our receipt for journey (which they had already seen), but I told them no, sorry I don’t understand you!

Was actually really concerned for our safety. Driver was constantly speeding, talking on his cell, cuddling up to her, drove the wrong way around a roundabout and generally driving badly.

Scheduled 3 hour journey took 5 hours plus. Very unprofessional business, I would not use, nor recommend anyone else to use, under any circumstances.

Sent an email to DRD 30 September, as of 21 October no reply.

Reply to: DRD Bus Venice to Ljublyana and return
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted