We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ways to get from Venice to Ljubljana?

Rosario, Argentina
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Ways to get from Venice to Ljubljana?

Hello,

I'm travelling to Ljubljana this August and I have a flight that will take me to Venice first.

How do I get from Venice to Ljubljana? Do I need to purchase those tickets in advance?

Thank you very much in advance!

Ana.

8 replies to this topic
Newcastle
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: Ways to get from Venice to Ljubljana?

We are travelling from Venice to Lake bled in July. Catching a train (railjet) from Venice to Villach (Austria) and then another train (OBB) from Villach to Lesce-Bled (Slovenia.) The latter train makes a stop in Ljubljana. Weve booked our tickets online through OBB website just to be on the safe side. There are buses along this entire route too with a change in Villach.

You can also try goopti which provides private and shared taxi service from Venice to Ljubljana.

From what Ive read the plans for a train from Trieste to Ljubljana has been delayed till September.

Hope you have a nice holiday!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
272 posts
2. Re: Ways to get from Venice to Ljubljana?

Although I've never used it I believe GoOpti provide a bus service at around 3hrs duration Venice to Ljubljana. Another option is train to Trieste and then bus (about 1.5hrs) from there to Ljubljana. The most scenic option is Venice-Gorizia (train)-Nova Gorica (bus)-Ljubljana via Most na Soca (train) but it takes time.

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
22 posts
3. Re: Ways to get from Venice to Ljubljana?

https://www.flixbus.si/

South Africa
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Ways to get from Venice to Ljubljana?

We travelled from Venice to Ljubljana by GoOpti taxi/shuttle service on 25 June and back on 2 July. Book in advance. They will contact you by sms/text message 24 hours before your arrival and give you the exact pick up time. Go to their website and make your choice, as there are different obtions at different price ranges. We were very happy with their services. Just be aware that some drivers might be at the pick up point 15 to 30 minutes earlier than arranged. In our case the explanation was that it was to allow for traffic jams on the highways. (Fortunately we are always rather early than late!)I will definitely use then again.

South Africa
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: Ways to get from Venice to Ljubljana?

I forgot to mention: we met a fellow traveller at the Bled bus station who was travelling between a number of European cities by Flexibus. So that' s another option to explore.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
1,863 posts
28 reviews
6. Re: Ways to get from Venice to Ljubljana?

I think you mean "FlixBus" not "Flexibus." And yes, they are running buses now between Ljubljana and Venice.

London Ontario
Level Contributor
728 posts
12 reviews
7. Re: Ways to get from Venice to Ljubljana?

We used FlixBus to get from Venice to Ljubljana. It was a very good ride. One stop on Trieste on the way to pick up some people. The earlier you book the cheaper it is. I would use them again for sure.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Ways to get from Venice to Ljubljana?

Train from Trieste to Venice (cheaper if you book in advance). The bus station at Trieste is next door to the station and has left luggage facilities if you want to look round. Buses are every hour or so and take about an hour 40 minutes and costs about 12 euros.

Reply to: Ways to get from Venice to Ljubljana?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted