We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2015 Guide: Getting to Auschwitz by bus

Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
2015 Guide: Getting to Auschwitz by bus

I thought I'd add an updated guide on how to get to Auschwitz by bus, as it was a little confusing when my mom and I went. I hope it makes sense and helps you all :)

1) Go to the bus station (Dworzec Autobusowy), which can be accessed via Krakow Glowny Rail Station; you can either walk to the bus station itself (to the right of the train station, if Krakow city is to your left), or you can enter through the 'Galeria Krakowska'.

2) If you enter through the Galeria (which takes you to the train station), make sure to go down any escalator and down to the level that is beneath the rail lines. There should be signs directing you to the bus station - the two are next door to each other.

3) When you enter into the bus station (you will go up a tiny flight of stairs to enter into the station), on the right hand side you'll see a massive board with RED, WHITE, YELLOW, and GREEN-coloured words on it. Look for the name 'OSWIECIM'. Here it will list times at which the bus leaves. It is confusing to read and work out :)

4) Go down a level (there is a lift, and a set of stairs in the very middle of the bus station so you can't miss it). Head to stand D8 (this was the stand we went to to get the 07:10 bus).

5) You can buy your ticket on the minibus (which is what the ticket seller lady upstairs told me) for 12 zloty for a ONE-WAY.

6) Be sure to get to the bus quickly, because it does fill up. Along the way the bus will fill up with more people, and can become a bit stuffy and uncomfortable.

7) The driver will know that a lot of his passengers are going to the camp, so he will make the stop outside Auschwitz. Upon arrival at the camp, he will give you a timetable of return times on his minibus.

8) The minibus stops at the back of the camp and it's easy to find your way to the Auschwitz entrance. Where this bus dropped you off, it will pick you up from again.

---GOING FROM AUSCHWITZ 1 TO AUSCHWITZ BIRKENAU---

1) Find your way to the parking lot of Auschwitz 1. Here you will see parked many many buses.

2) Find the 'SNACK BAR'.

3) On the very same road, and to the right of the SNACK BAR you will see a pole with bus times on it. This is where the FREE bus shuttle stops to take passengers to Birkenau.

PS: DO NOT get confused here, because the BIRKENAU bus shuttle times are posted on the opposite side of the SNACK BAR. The bus time mentioned in #3 just above are the times the bus to KRAKOW leaves, however this is where the SHUTTLE bus picks you up from.

4) The bus is black, and says on the top of the window 'BIRKENAU'. This bus will take you to the Birkenau camp.

5) Where this bus drops you off, it will pick you up from again. It is very near to the 'Gate of Death'.

- If you decide not to take the mini bus back to Krakow, you can take a bus which stops (at Auschwitz 1) at the same place where the BLACK SHUTTLE BUS picks Birkenau visitors up from.

- If you know for certain that you'll be using the minibus again (which brought you from Krakow), you can buy a return ticket from the bus driver in Krakow. Otherwise I'd imagine that you can just buy the return ticket on the minibus at the back of Auschwitz 1.

I really hope this helps. And if you have any questions, I will try my best answer :)

Somerset, England
Level Contributor
46 posts
498 reviews
1. Re: 2015 Guide: Getting to Auschwitz by bus

This will be a lot a help to all those who chose to go independently. I have already printed it out to add to our paperwork ready for our trip in August.

Krakow, Poland
3 posts
2. Re: 2015 Guide: Getting to Auschwitz by bus

Here you can check timetables of all the buses from Krakow to Auschwitz: http://www.busy-krk.pl/en/oswiecim-krakow.php

Have a nice day ;)

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
97 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: 2015 Guide: Getting to Auschwitz by bus

Hello

How much time should we allow for the journey if we go by bus ?

Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
4. Re: 2015 Guide: Getting to Auschwitz by bus

Hi there

The journey to the camp took close to 2 hours, because it made some stops along the way. We left Krakow at 07:10 and arrived at the camp just before 09:10.

The trip back to Krakow took a little bit longer (on a different bus) at about 2h 30mins.

Good luck :)

5. Re: 2015 Guide: Getting to Auschwitz by bus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 26 June 2015, 18:35
6. Re: 2015 Guide: Getting to Auschwitz by bus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2016, 05:17