We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gdnask or sopot?

Which Gdansk hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ROI
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Gdnask or sopot?

What is the better place to stay with children under 10? I have looked at the old town, gdnask, how far would it be to the beach? Also can you catch a bus or train to the local beach?

Is there much in the old town? Or would it be better to stay in the suburbs?

We like to go for a quite drink in the evening. So we would like a place that we could walk to in the evening to eat and for drinks.

Thanks

Gdansk, Poland
Level Contributor
1,358 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gdnask or sopot?

Hi,

It depends on you.

Sopot main walking street ends almost on the beach. There are nice walking and bicycle paths towards Gdańsk and Gdynia and very nice pier.

Lots of bars, pubs and restaurants.

Sopot centre is 12 km to Gdansk centre and there is good local train connection (20 min).

Gdańsk has some beaches.

The most popular is in Jelitkowo (40 min. by tram from the centre of Gdansk),

Stogi (abt 25 min. by tram),

Pleniewo (bus and walk)

Sobieszewo (bus and walk).

There is lots of interesting places and objects which can be shown your son in Gdańsk.

Take him to Hewelianum in Gdańsk and to Science Centre Experyment in Gdynia.

Kind regards

Malgorzata

dallas tx.
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
4,143 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gdnask or sopot?

stay in sopot as the beach and a hugh pier is right there....as well as restaurants....its like a small resort town that is totally charming......but take day trips into gdansk because the old town is sooo pretty and not to be missed

Warsaw, Poland
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gdnask or sopot?

Old Town in Gdańsk is charming. With some good restaurants. But it is far from any beach - this is a port location. Sopot is better and its beach is one of the most famous in Poland. It's much more compact - hotels, restaurants & beaches in (almost) one place, no need to travel.

Both places can be expensive, as they are of the top Polish tourist destinations.

An alternative is Gdańsk Oliwa - beautiful cathedral with the famous organs (and organ concerts) and a nice park. A bit off-the-beaten-track in Gdańsk, yet beautiful and close to the railway station (see below).

If you wish to find something in the suburbs, stay close to the railway line, don't go too far to the west :) The roads leading from the western suburbs may be pretty jammed. From the railway station in Gdańsk you have some 20-30 mins of walk to the Old Town, shorter time for Sopot. The trains run until some 11 pm.

Edited: 04 March 2014, 05:07
ROI
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gdnask or sopot?

Hi

I have found a house about 1 km away from the big shopping centre. The owners tell me it is 3km to the nearest beach. It appears to be in the middle between sopot and gdnask, would this be a better location?

There appears to be 2 tram stops either side of the shopping centre, so it appears transport isn't a problem here? Are there weekly tickets for transport in the area or discount cards you can buy?

Thanks for the info.

Warsaw, Poland
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gdnask or sopot?

Do you know which centre is that ?

ROI
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gdnask or sopot?

Galleria Baltycka.

Sorry just googled didn't realise there where so many.

Thanks again

Warsaw, Poland
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gdnask or sopot?

Hi,

There is a train station right next to Galeria Bałtycka - Gdańsk Wrzeszcz. To me - train is a faster option if you would like to get to Sopot. It is also faster, but not necessarily better, for Gdańsk Old town.

If you ask me about opinion about the beach - I don't like the beaches in Gdańsk, they lack charm. Sopot is better. In any case, 3-4 km is not a walking distance, so I don't think the distance to the beach really matters, you have to take taxi/whatever else to get you there.

Regarding the weekly tickets, as far as I know there are weekly tickets for SKM (the municipal railway), but not for the trams nor buses -> not sure about it, I ve never needed such tickets during by trips to Gdańsk.

ROI
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gdnask or sopot?

So I can get a SKM to Sopot from the shopping centre?

Warsaw, Poland
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gdnask or sopot?

Yes, but not from the centre, but from the station nearby, See this route:

https://www.google.pl/maps/dir/Gda%C5%84sk+Wrzeszcz,+Romana+Dmowskiego+1A,+Gda%C5%84sk/Galeria+Ba%C5%82tycka,+Aleja+Grunwaldzka+141,+80-264+Gda%C5%84sk/@54.3814086,18.602436,16z/data=!4m18!4m17!1m5!1m1!1s0x46fd74bffc1ed5e9:0x8eecfc8da898b929!2m2!1d18.605435!2d54.38186!1m5!1m1!1s0x46fd74ea79e3fd01:0x3cd7c4eada1b8ed4!2m2!1d18.600456!2d54.382802!3e2!6m3!1i0!2i0!3i0

BTW, The name of your station, Gdańsk Wrzeszcz, will make a nice crash course in Polish for you :)

Edited: 04 March 2014, 22:09
Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,518 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gdnask or sopot?

Macieii is correct the beaches at Sopot are much nicer than Gdansk. http://vod.tkchopin.pl/nadmorski24/sopot/ Sopot was small spa town, developed in the 1930s or so from a small fishing village. In the last 5 years there have been a lot of improvements especially around the bottom of the main street called ul. Monte Cassino which has made it a lot more pedestrian friendly. Traffic now goes through an underpass beneath the road.

The beach front has lots of cafes and bars serving all types of food and drinks. I would say that Sopot is the better place with children as you have the beach if the weather is fine or you can take the SKM from Sopot or Sopot Kamienny Potok stations into Gdansk. You might also like to visit Gdynia, it also has quite a nice beach with a floating ship museum and some nice areas to walk through at the beach front. I've seen huge changes in the 10 years I've been visiting the Tri-city.

Download the pdf of Gdansk in Your Pocket http://www.inyourpocket.com/poland/gdansk it will give your information about Sopot, Gdasnk and Gdynia.

Get answers to your questions about Gdansk