We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to wear in winter

3 posts
Save Topic
What to wear in winter

Hello everyone. I will be studying in Opava, which is very close city to Ostrava, in fall semester. I'm having trouble selecting my clothes. I have packed my woolen tights under jeans and t-shirts, boots, sweaters, socks... I wear a bit unordinary, Im planning to bring leather jacket, made of buffalo hide. I always wear woolen tights, a t shirt, sweater and a leather jacket made of sheep hide. Do you think it would be enough for cold?

Dolni Vitkovice
Historic Sites, Observation Decks & Towers, Points of Interest & Landmarks
New City Hall Viewing Tower
Observation Decks & Towers
3 replies to this topic
Frydek-Mistek...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: What to wear in winter

Hi, a winter coat (40%+ made of wool) could be useful from Dec to Feb, or autumn coat plus warm sweaters under it. Depends how bad you handle with cold weather. Expect temp. below zero commonly in Winter esp. January, with possibility to drop down to -10 or -20 below zero in especially cold days (evenings & mornings).

On the contrary may be a mild winter too w. temperatures barely declining below zero. Really not very predictible bet due to Czech Republic location in the heart of Europe with numbers of weather aspects (oceanic vs. continental etc.)

I hope this helps a bit,

Marek

3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What to wear in winter

Thanks for your intimate suggestions Marek. My friends here suggested me to buy neoprene rubber coats. They told me that they feel none, or a little cold with leather vest, leather jacket and that neoprene coat. Have you ever heard or seen people using that cloth?

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
17,364 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to wear in winter

There is nothing wrong with second hand shopping here after you arrive. You can save some money.

As mentioned, it might be a mild winter. 3 of the last 4 winters were not too bad.

I would not spend a lot of money or buy new clothing that you may only use 6 or 8 weeks.

Edited: 06 September 2017, 08:05
Reply to: What to wear in winter
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ostrava
More Ostrava Topics