We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train from prague to brno

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
16 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
train from prague to brno

Hi,

Just wanna check - is it ok to travel in train on a first class ticket (452 czk ticket fare) or second class (199 czk).If there are no serious concerns or discomfort, i'd like to save the cash. I am travelling alone, will have a backpack and a small carry bag as luggage.

Also i will be taking the 7.52 am morning train on a Sunday...so will the passenger rush be light and not heavy?

Appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
30,931 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train from prague to brno

Most people get the bus - €8 from www.studentagency.eu it has free wi-fi and refreshments and in-seat movies https:/…index.html.

Edited: 29 March 2016, 20:12
Level Contributor
149 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: train from prague to brno

I think the train is better and surely more comfortable! The busses get often stuck on the motorway.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
30,931 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train from prague to brno

No they don't - it is actually quite rare for them to get stuck on the motorway, and you get 50% of your fare back if it is 30 minutes- 1 hour late, and 100% back if over an hour late. But this is very uncommon. If there is a traffic holdup anywhere they take diversions, and they go up and down the D1 all day. You can check this by looking at the status page https:/…

Comfort is subjective of course, but I quite like a reclining seat with refreshments brought to you whilst watching a movie or two :)

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
425 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: train from prague to brno

This is certainly subjective, but it is also certainly not (more) the case of most people travelling by bus. The rail service was massively improved over a few recent years, so it is equal time-wise and the comfort/price is what matters - and what can hardly be "objectified" as anyone has individual measure of that: Is more important a dining car or in-seat movies? Plenty of space or a stewardess? Is it worse to have a tiny and difficultly accessible WC (bus) or a non-adjustable seat (train 2nd class)? Etc.

Brno, Czech Republic
Level Contributor
54 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: train from prague to brno

I prefer the train, I like trains more, I get sick when reading or watching movie on a bus but not on a train :) But it's up to you.

If you will choose train, use the second class. The first and second classes are almost the same and the first is certainly not worth the double price.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
30,931 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: train from prague to brno

Definitely - the difference in price is not great enough to warrant the extra. In the old days, yes, but nowadays second is acceptable.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
16 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: train from prague to brno

Hi...thanks everyone. Brasaral and GSEK, you have made my decision crystal clear by clarifying my question specifically, i will go for train now and opt for second class. Bus would have been a temptation, but if its just a 2.30 hr journey, i do not mind watching the countryside from the window while keeping my headphone on my ears listening to music.

Btw, it'll be much easier walking to the train station at 7 in the morning being new to prague than it would be to the bus station.I dont know how easy it is to get cabs in the morning.

Thanks again.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
42,229 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: train from prague to brno

You can get a taxi any time of the day, but perhaps you don't have to, the public transport is running normally at 7 am...or you can walk, depends where you are staying.

9. Re: train from prague to brno

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2017, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Brno