We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

currency

Cleethorpes, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
currency

Hi ,

I along with my wife and another couple are travelling to Brno in september, for sightseeing and food and drink.

What I would like to know, is, is it better to take czech crowns or euros to pay for food and drink.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

22 replies to this topic
J K
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: currency

Hi,

you can definitely pay in euros in supermarkets, stores, probably in restaurants as well (at least some of them), but I would definitely take at least a small amount of crowns, for instance for public transport (the local ticket automats won't accept euros as far as I know). Another option might be paying with a card, which is acceptable in most restaurants and shops.

You can of course exchange money when you get there, the local exchanges are honest (unlike the ones in Prague).

If you had any other questions, do ask, I'm a local there. I also recommend this map/guide: https://use-it.travel/cities/detail/brno/ It's written by the locals, and there are many recommendations regarding cafés and restaurants.

Enjoy your trip :)

J

Cleethorpes, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: currency

Thanks for the advice , we will take a mixture of euros and crowns that way we will be sure.

Thanks

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
19,673 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: currency

It is Brno, not Prague.

Do not rely on Euros

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
30,944 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: currency

I've never paid in euros for anything in Brno - but if you do, expect the exchange rate to be in favour of the shopowner, or they will direct you to the nearest exchange office. It's the same as paying in euros in Cleethorpes - I know you can use them in M+S in Grimsby, for example, but it isn't usual. To be safe, only use Czech crowns, and you can get those from any cashpoint on arrival. DO NOT exchange at any airport Travelex desk (or any other airport exchange office) or you will be chucking your hard-earned money away. If you want to bring cash, bring pounds and exchange them at any exchange office in town - as mentioned above, they are all honest, and you'll get a better rate than you would in the UK. Don't change too much, though, as you will find that food and drink are quite a bit cheaper (and much better quality) than at home.

This is another good guide - he says it is obsolete, but it is still 90% valid …blueboard.cz/ebooky/2014guide-obsolete.html

If you have any queries let us know - Brno is a fantastic city with lots of hidden secrets. It isn't all in the centre and you need to explore to get the most out of it. What sort of things do you like? It is a major architectural centre, with some of the country's best pubs, bars and restaurants. It's also great for chilling out in one of the parks, by the lake or at one of the open-air pools. Some more here https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2017/sep/…

Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
19,521 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: currency

I'm going to Brno in September and won't be taking any Euro's with me.

Why should I when the currency is Czech crowns!?!?

Cleethorpes, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: currency

Thanks for all the advice given. I will have a look at the links posted , when I get home from work. i think based on the advice , that we will take czech crowns and english money and exchange it over there. What is the exchange rate over there?

Can anyone recommend any good bars and restaurants near to the best western premier international hotel?

Do taxis from the airport take 4 passengers and luggage, as I have read that they only take 3 people.?

What is the average that you would pay for 4 meals and drinks in a restaurant.?

Sorry for the questions but I like to have a good idea of how things are when visiting different countries.

We all like architecture and museums and the weird and wonderful. We use these trips to relax and see different parts of the world.

Thanks

Trevor A

NJ
Level Contributor
96 posts
359 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: currency

If you are in the Czech Republic, pay with their money. Many/most places do not take Euros. Get to Bankomat ATM's and change small amounts at a time if only staying a few days.

Cleethorpes, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: currency

Thanks for the information. We will take crowns. Is there a limit on how much you can take into the country? I know in some they set a limit.

What are the average prices currently for beer /wine and a two or three course meal?

J K
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: currency

Hi,

one dollar is approx. 22 crowns.

I'm not familiar with the situation around taxi, because as a local I use the public transport and unless your luggage is really heavy I would recommend using the public transport, is a lot cheaper and user-firendly. Uber is also an option.

If you wanted to use the public transport, buy a ticket for 25 CZK (they sell them at a newsagent's or there are tiket machines), take the bus E76 from the airport to the main railway station, go to the underground and find the stair that lead to the platform on the left, and take the tram number 12 to "Šilingrovo náměstí" stop. From there it's a 5 minute walk down the main street.

Good pubs: U Richarda (very close to the hotel), Na Sojáka (=standing up in English), Zelená kočka, Pivní burza (=Beer Stock Market in English; there are several brands of beers and the prices change throughout the night according to the popularity of the beer, so it's a bit of a game), Lokál,...

Good bars: Bar, který neexistuje (=The Bar that does not exist in English), Super Panda Circus.

Good cafés (serve beer as well): Podnebí (close to your hotel), Café Placzek (really beautiful)

Most restaurants will have "Polední menu" (Lunch menu), which is served between 11-14.00, there are always several meals offered that are not on the propper menu and cost usually 80-100 CZK. Normal meals cost around 100-160 CZK, the special offers cost more. Average beer or soft drinks costs approx. 35 CZK, homemade lemonade approx. 50 CZK. The tips are not included, we usually tip 5-10% and tend to round it. If you are not satisfied with the service, you don't have to tip.

The city centre is quite small (a walk through the centre won't take you more than 30 minutes), so there's no need to use the public transport, however if you do, it's very reliable and cheap.

Some tips:

- I remember my friend having a really expensive Pilsen beer in the Western Premier International Hotel, I would probably avoid it.

- The locals avoid drinking Starobrno beer and rather drink Pilsen or beers from smaller breweries, such as Hauskrecht, Richard, Dalešice, Polička etc.

- It's great to learn a few Czech phrases ("Dobrý den", "Děkuji", "Prosím", "Nashedanou", "Mluvíte anglicky?"), since sometimes people in the Czech Republic are a bit shy and reluctant to speak English (especially older) and will be more likely to help you if know at least these few phrases.

-The public transport in the Czech Republic is really cheap and reliable, and there are beautiful places close to Brno that are worth visiting (depending on what are your plans). For instance the city of Kroměříž, Zlín, Znojmo, Mikulov, Lednicko-Valtický areál etc. For planning a journey, use this: https:/…

Cleethorpes, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: currency

Thanks for the inside information regarding transport and restaurants. The four of us are getting more adventurous as we visit more and more places and discover a lot more about places. Incidentally how many crowns to the English pound.

Reply to: currency
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Brno