We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport to City Centre

Peterborough...
Level Contributor
37 posts
15 reviews
Airport to City Centre

Hi,

We are visiting Brno next month and from what I have read our best transport option would be by bus. We are staying at Hotel Pegas, I believe that we should catch the bus to the train station and walk from there.

Could anybody confirm if this is correct, what bus we should be catching and whether we need to purchase tickets before getting on the bus.

Many thanks

10 replies to this topic
Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
31,038 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: Airport to City Centre

Yes, there are buses every 30 minutes, at 07 and 37 past the hour - number E37. It is a very small airport so you can't miss the bus stop. You can get tickets from a machine at the airport - I think there is one in the terminal and/or or by the bus stop, or from the shop. You will need coins for the machines, CZK25 each, but it it is well worth buying a five-day ticket for CZK250. Don't forget to validate it on board in one of the machines! You will need to use the trams a lot to see the city - don't make the mistake of staying just in the centre as there is a huge amount to see and do, and in any case it is nice to just be able to hop on to a tram without worrying about whether you have a ticket.

The centre isn't a large place, and walking to Pegas is easy if you know the way. However it might be more convenient to get another tram from in front of the railway station - you will be armed with a ticket so just hop on either 4 or 9 direction Náměstí Míru (4) or Čertova rokle (9) and get off at Náměstí Svobody, which is the main square, and it is a two-minute walk from there to Pegas - walk up to the big church with the pointy green spire (in the crypt it has Europe's second largest ossuary with 30 thousand skeletons, it's well worth a visit), and turn left. Pegas is right there. It has the best beer in town, after Blahovka.

You can also walk from the station, following the tram tracks up Masarykova. It is usually bustling with people, but watch out for the trams - locals have a sixth sense so know when to move out of the way.

Before you go, read this for an overview - he's got some quirky views, and even though it says it is obsolete, it is still mostly 90% valid …blueboard.cz/ebooky/2014guide-obsolete.html

Edited: 18 June 2018, 10:48
Peterborough...
Level Contributor
37 posts
15 reviews
2. Re: Airport to City Centre

GCEK - many thanks for the prompt and detailed response, we shall definitely go for the five day travel card.

Regards

Rob F

Peterborough...
Level Contributor
37 posts
15 reviews
3. Re: Airport to City Centre

GCEK - sorry, forgot to ask, can we use notes/debit card if we're purchasing five day travel passes at the airport?

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
31,038 posts
17 reviews
4. Re: Airport to City Centre

Not on the machines - you can use notes if you buy at the shop - I'm almost certain you can get them there. Get your money from a cashpoint - don't change it at any airport exchange office. Otherwise exchange offices in Brno are not like in Prague as you will not be ripped off, except maybe in the big hotels. You can also pay by contactless on the bus but only for single tickets and I find that UK cards don't work - in any case you'd be charged a lot more than that by your bank for the transaction fee so don't bother with that. You'll find that if you try to pay by card for things they will always ask you to use contactless and won't believe you when you tell them it doesn't work and want to use chip and pin. They'll only believe you once you prove it; I find it quite amusing.

Brno, Czech Republic
Level Contributor
97 posts
5. Re: Airport to City Centre

GCEK: I'm afraid that there is no E37 line in Brno. The only bus line from the airport is E76, as far as I know. And if I'm not wrong, it's served by buses with installed and working contactless ticket vending machines. On other lines this function is intentionally turned off, or there are older machines without this option at all.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
31,038 posts
17 reviews
6. Re: Airport to City Centre

I've no idea why I wrote E37 :) Whatever, it's the only one that goes from outside the terminal. Get off at the last stop, Hlavní nádraží

Peterborough...
Level Contributor
37 posts
15 reviews
7. Re: Airport to City Centre

Thank you both for all your help, I've got enough change to get single tickets from the airport and then I'll find somewhere where I can purchase 5 day travel passes.

Thanks again

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
31,038 posts
17 reviews
8. Re: Airport to City Centre

You can buy a 5-day pass at the airport, either from a machine or at the shop. I find it is much easier to do it all on arrival then you won't need to go through the hassle later. They look exactly the same as all other tickets, except they have 5 days written on the front. You validate (time stamp) it on board the bus and it is then valid from that point until 5 days are up. Don't stamp it again or it will be invalid.

As I said above, there is a cashpoint in the terminal building - Komerční banka - so you can get your money there.

Peterborough...
Level Contributor
37 posts
15 reviews
9. Re: Airport to City Centre

Brilliant, many thanks GCEK - I've still got about 2000CZK from last year's trip to Prague!

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
31,038 posts
17 reviews
10. Re: Airport to City Centre

That's plenty! It'll go a lot further than in Prague as well, and you'll get much higher quality.

Reply to: Airport to City Centre
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Brno
Recent Conversations