We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety around main train station

Which Prague hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
massachusetts usa
Level Contributor
196 posts
Save Topic
Safety around main train station

Hi Guys, I am staying across from the train station. I need to cross the park in front of the station to get to the station and metro stop. Is it safe after dark to cross thru the park to Jeruzalemska St , in fact, is it safe to walk around that area, say to Wencelas square after dark

Thanks

qquubbic

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
20,935 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety around main train station

It really is not a problem, the train station has completely transformed over the years into a very nice Shopping mall with train station atatched ,the park area has been well cut back and the whole area much brighter than it was several years ago.I have wandered around that area at all times of the day and night and have stayed right across from the station twice in recent years.

just take the normal precautions you would in any big city,but generally Prague is as safe as any city in Europe and safer than most.

Edited: 03 April 2013, 13:32
Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
27,790 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety around main train station

Even in the 'old days' it was no real problem - the couple of drunks that used to hang out there (maybe still do) wouldn't have said boo to a goose and they are of far more danger to themselves than to anybody else.

massachusetts usa
Level Contributor
196 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety around main train station

Thank you Uncle Gus and GCEK, I kind of thought it was OK but its nice to have experienced people confirm it

Cheers

qquubbic

South Bend, IN
Level Contributor
21 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety around main train station

My 23 year old daughter, husband and I walked through the park at 9pm in the dark, and did not feel unsafe. Just look confident, don't linger, keep walking. We did not see anything to give alarm. However, inside the station, we did see several characters that we pretty much pegged as there to run a scam or pick pocket, so guard you belongings well. Also, FYI- the only toilets there are pay toilets; be prepared to shell out 100Kr for the toilet. Be aware too, that there are many shops there, but all will be closed by the time to get there. There is a Burger King too, but it closes at 10pm, so be sure you have all you need before you go. Oh, and the staff there at the counters did NOT seem overly friendly. But for the most part it was clean. Not hardly any benches or places to sit though, if you have to wait a long time.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
27,790 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety around main train station

100 crowns for the toilet????

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,287 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety around main train station

The little park on the way to the train station was once known as Sherwood Forest. I lost a passport somewhere around there, some ten years ago, but I would not hesitate to go there again.

Now, a hundred crowns for the privilege to pee, on the other hand...

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
20,935 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety around main train station

I think that may be a Typo, it was 10kc when I used them late last year. and worth it as they are a very nice facility.

Masontown
Level Contributor
181 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety around main train station

I second everything debfrom south bend said a few messages back on this topic

9. Re: Safety around main train station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2014, 05:16