We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Coast/ South Coast

South Dakota
Level Contributor
117 posts
North Coast/ South Coast

Hi -

We're starting our search for a great winter vacation, and thought about Rincon. We've been to PR once before, but spent most of our time in Vieques, so would love to come back and explore what seems like a great beach town.

I'm stumped on where we want to be though. I think we'll be looking at VRBO for a rental, as I like that kind of vacation, but have seen some mention of the North Coast, South Coast and the Sunshine Coast. So.. here's my question (finally). The North Coast looks interesting - would love to watch the surfers -- but is it windy on that side? Which is closer to town? We're the type that likes to wander down the beach to a little bar and walk into town for dinner and cocktails.

Where do I want to be?

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks to this forum, I don't think I've ever had a bad vacation, so I'm counting on you guys. :-)

Sandi

Rincon, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
113 posts
14 reviews
1. Re: North Coast/ South Coast

Hey Sandi - Staying in Rincon means you need a car. The town is fairly spread out and if you want to go to "town" a car is needed. Not many vaca rentals near downtown.

The north coast, or Puntas area, is definitely the more lively part of Rincon. You are going to get wind anywhere near the coast, and it's not a bad thing. Wind is GOOD. Not sure why you would want to avoid that. There will be several rentals where you will be able to walk to the beach, some great restaurants and watch some surfing. This would be around the Sandy Beach area. It will be more lively.

Not sure about the sunshine coast? I guess they are talking about the west coast. You could find a rental near the Marina. This would allow you to walk to some great restaurants and the beach. Quieter than Puntas/Sandy.

Than you have areas near Stella and Corcega. These are even more low key but you can walk to the beach and some great restaurants.

The most low key of all would be in the mountains or near Barerro. Very low key.

Any area you pick, you will absolutely love. Don't forget to check out AirBnB for places. Read the reviews of vacation homes and you'll be just fine :)

South Dakota
Level Contributor
117 posts
2. Re: North Coast/ South Coast

Thanks for your insight. I agree that an ocean breeze is a good thing, however, we've been in places where the wind has blown so hard that we struggled with the sand causing pain. (not fun)..

I think we'll probably drive from San Juan, so having a car won't be an issue, but just didn't really want to drive everyday -- do that at home, and love vacations where walking is the preferred mode of transportation.

I think that the North Coast is where we'll look -- I've checked a few places on VRBO with great reviews, so we'll start there.

Thanks again!

Sandi

Caguas, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
24 reviews
3. Re: North Coast/ South Coast

Where ever you stay in Rincon, don't forget to have dinner at La Cambija. It is a very low key, relax but great food and drinks place. It gets pretty busy so try to get there early.

Rincon has a small farmers market, every Sunday morning at the town plaza. Great for organic, and locally grown produce.

No matter your rental location you will enjoy it. Small rental car will do for your daily needs.

Fly in to Aguadilla, BQN airport, which is just a 30 min drive to Rincón.

4. Re: North Coast/ South Coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2016, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Rincon
Recent Conversations