We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is Cuenca like during San Mateo Festival?

Maryland
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
What is Cuenca like during San Mateo Festival?

I am planning a visit to Cuenca that coincides with the San Mateo festival, the week of Sept. 19. I want to visit museums and walk around, but am wondering if this is a good time to do it -- will it be jammed with celebrants?

During that week, are there less crowded days to visit?

thank you in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Cuenca
Cuenca
Province of Cuenca, Spain
4 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is Cuenca like during San Mateo Festival?

I don't see any replies to russian-sage's query. I am planning to visit Cuenca Spain on 21st September 2017 and would also like to know if it is too crowded during the San Mateo Festival, or if the festival is an added reason to visit that week. I am interested in visiting the museums and walking around the old town as well as seeing some local colour if not too boisterous.

Mentioned in this post
Cuenca
Cuenca
Albuquerque, NM
Level Contributor
1,835 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is Cuenca like during San Mateo Festival?

Everyone in town will be in the streets and many from out of town will join them. If you worry about crowns and than fiesta time is not when you want to visit anywhere in Spain. Sometimes the normal activities and sites are unavailable.

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
68,747 posts
3,765 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is Cuenca like during San Mateo Festival?

The part of Cuenca that has the monuments is the upper part, near the Cathedral. I do not think it will be crowded because the celebrations are usually held in the lower town, where most of the population resides.

Mentioned in this post
Cuenca
Cuenca
St Austell, United...
Level Contributor
4,020 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is Cuenca like during San Mateo Festival?

Suzanne - if you are planning to stay in Cuenca and have pre-booked accommodation and parking - and like noisy crowds late into the night - it will be fine.

If you are visiting for the day you may have trouble driving in, parking or anything. There is parking way up above the castle/old twon, but you need to be able to drive up to it.

Miserable folk that we are, we tend to avoid fiestas, they can be very very busy. Peaceful exploration is our way! So it depends what you want!

If this may upset your whole plans, maybe stay near Zaragoza?

Edited: 11 August 2017, 08:52
Mentioned in this post
Cuenca
Cuenca
Zaragoza
Zaragoza
Province of Zaragoza, Spain
Reply to: What is Cuenca like during San Mateo Festival?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted