We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Cuenca, Spain on the AVE train

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2 posts
59 reviews
Traveling to Cuenca, Spain on the AVE train

I wanted to share my recent (Feb 2012) experience traveling to Cuenca on the AVE train, as the service is relatively new, and neither of my guidebooks had any info on it.

If you're leaving from Madrid, the train departs from Atocha station. Currently, depending on the day, there are three to five high speed trains leaving between 7:00AM and noon, taking from 51 to 58 minutes. You can see the schedule at the Renfe website, though trying to buy tickets there is difficult. I went in February and had no trouble buying tickets at the station right before boarding the train.

When you arrive in Cuenca, there is a bus that takes you from the AVE station to the "new town," which is below the old town of Cuenca (where all the sights are). The bus was waiting in the parking lot of the AVE station when my train arrived. The bus costs 1.10€. The driver let me know when to get off to catch bus #1, which goes to Plaza Mayor, the center of the old town (my guidebook says bus #2 also goes there, but I can't confirm that). Bus #1 costs .70€, and it winds its way up the hill to Plaza Mayor. Once there, I popped into the TI, where they have a large, detailed free map of the town. There are also taxis available at the AVE station. If you have a group of 3 or 4 people, the taxi will probably cost you about the same as the two buses, and be a bit faster.

When it was time to head back to the station, I skipped the #1 bus and walked down the hill and into the new town, as the walk looked interesting on the way up (at any time, you can grab the #1 bus if you're tired or bored). On the way down, I took some short excursions down any stairs that went to the left (toward the river) and checked out the views of the gorge. I walked all the way to the first stop for the bus to the AVE station - it's not difficult if you're a regular walker - which is just past the little TI booth in town. I paid attention on the bus ride up, and was able to navigate back; if you're ever in doubt, just follow the bus stops for bus #1. The bus to the AVE station comes every 20 minutes. Depending on the day, there are four to five high speed trains back to Madrid between 4:00 to 9:30PM.

The two buses into town couldn't have taken more than half an hour, if that. You might prefer to walk uphill to Plaza Mayor on the way in. You can either start when the bus from the AVE station drops you in the new town (just continue in the same direction as the bus), or take bus #1 until it reaches a small bridge over a river - you'll see the hill of the old town of Cuenca on your right. From there, the walk up is perhaps 15-20 minutes.

Toronto
Level Contributor
543 posts
9 reviews
1. Re: Traveling to Cuenca, Spain on the AVE train

Thank you. Very helpful. Going in May.

Ellen

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
235 posts
112 reviews
2. Re: Traveling to Cuenca, Spain on the AVE train

Hi Kurts12,

I want visit to Cuenca on the way from Valencia to Madrid in September. Since the major tourist spots in Valencia open late at around 10AM, I have to take the 3PM AVE which will arrive Cuenca at 4PM. Do you think I have enough time to see Cuenca from then and finally take the AVE leaving at either 7:31PM or 8:19PM to Madrid?

Thanks a lot!!

Kumaneko

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2 posts
59 reviews
3. Re: Traveling to Cuenca, Spain on the AVE train

Ellen - glad to have been of help.

Kumaneko - If you hop in a taxi at the AVE station, it should only take about fifteen minutes to get to the Plaza Mayor. That would leave you with about three hours, which is enough time for a nice walking tour of the town. From the Plaza Mayor, I'd head to the hanging houses and the San Pablo pedestrian bridge on the east side of town, then head north to the tip of the town for a scenic overview. My guidebook didn't mention it, but the walk back to the Plaza Mayor on the west side of town also has nice views. Also, if you have time. The Museum of Abstract Art is in one of the Hanging Houses, and a couple of galleries have scenic views out their windows.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
235 posts
112 reviews
4. Re: Traveling to Cuenca, Spain on the AVE train

Hi Kurt12,

Thanks a lot for your information!! That's really helpful. I would definitely follow your suggestion;-)

Have a good day!

Kumaneko

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
5. Re: Traveling to Cuenca, Spain on the AVE train

Hi!

Where in the new town does the bus drop you off? Close to the "regular" railway station?

6. Re: Traveling to Cuenca, Spain on the AVE train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2014, 05:15