We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Darwin to Kununurra to Bungle Bungle in 7 days, possible?

boston, ma
Level Contributor
59 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Darwin to Kununurra to Bungle Bungle in 7 days, possible?

We only have 8 days in June (unforunately), The first day we pick up our Landcruiser/camper, I figured we could make it as far as Litchfield since we did not go there our last trip. So really our trip starts the next day in Litchfield and we have to drive to Kununurra. That gives us just six more days (and one of those days would be dedicated to getting back to Darwin). Is it worth doing, or should we wait until we can go for 2 weeks or so? Should we fly over Bungle Bungle region and go to El Questro, stay at Lake Argyle? I'm a bit lost and I need to decide quickly if this is how I should plan our last 8 days? Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

25 replies to this topic
Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
17,396 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Darwin to Kununurra to Bungle Bungle in 7 days, possible?

It would be good if you had couple more days, but it can be done.

I assume that Landcruiser/camper is 4WD. You need 4WD for both Bungle Bungles and El Questro.

I would allow 2 nights at Bungle Bungles and 1-2 nights at El Questro.

The drive from Litchfield to Kununurra can be done in 1 day. It is about 8 hours driving.

boston, ma
Level Contributor
59 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Darwin to Kununurra to Bungle Bungle in 7 days, possible?

Yes, it's a 4WD Land Cruiser. Would it be possible to stop at Lake Argyle for one day? Is it worth it?

York, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
7,349 posts
1,830 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Darwin to Kununurra to Bungle Bungle in 7 days, possible?

Have you considered flights to and from Kununurra to eliminate the two full driving days?

Really you should try to see the bungles from the ground too but this means allocating 2 full days minimum from Kununurra.

I like lake argyle but you are tight on time.

boston, ma
Level Contributor
59 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Darwin to Kununurra to Bungle Bungle in 7 days, possible?

I'd love to, but flights in are very limited and would be several hundred dollars a person, then we'd have to find a 4WD there. Maybe this is a trip for the following summer when we can dedicate more time to it. Every trip the last few I have said I'm going and every trip for some reason it doesn't happen, I'll have to find something on the East Coast I haven't done yet I guess, that will be tough to do since I've done so much... If the weather were warmer I'd go to Perth I think...

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
31,121 posts
2,006 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Darwin to Kununurra to Bungle Bungle in 7 days, possible?

Hi,

Regarding Kununurra - yes visiting Lake Argyle is worth it. I love Kununurra & its surroundings. IMO its an unique part of Australia & is definitely a must do especially visiting the Gibb River Road , Bungle Bungles , Home Valley Station & Lake Argyle.

tripadvisor.com.au/GoListDetail-i18526-Kunun…

Flying is a good option if your budget allows. You can always hire a 4WD at Kununurra Airport.

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
4,446 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Darwin to Kununurra to Bungle Bungle in 7 days, possible?

Have you considered a road trip loop from Perth?

Up to Exmouth/ Coral Bay for good swimming weather in June- snorkelling at Ningaloo Reef and swim with the whale sharks. Then onto Karijini NP and back to Perth.

Edit: just realized only 8 days so if driving only time for Coral Bay.

However you could fly to Exmouth Learmonth) and hire a car to then do Exmouth and Karijini.

Edited: 24 November 2015, 01:13
boston, ma
Level Contributor
59 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Darwin to Kununurra to Bungle Bungle in 7 days, possible?

Yes, I thought of Exmouth and I've thought of Perth, but it will be so cold the end of June. If we do go to Darwin, I think we might only have time for Litchfield, Lake Argyle and Kununurra. I think we'd only have time for a flyover of Bungle Bungle. Is it worth it? I'm really disappointed we wouldn't really have time for more...

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
6,967 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Darwin to Kununurra to Bungle Bungle in 7 days, possible?

Personally- if you are driving 10 hours from Darwin to Kunurrura , then I think it would be a shame to miss the Bungles especially when you have gone to the expense of getting a 4wd. You only need 4wd for ELQ and Bungles. Otherwise 2wd would do the trip.

Bungles are a magnificent feature and seeing from the air- while impressive is not a patch on getting amongst these towering formations.

Kunurrura to Bungles turnoff is 2 hrs then another 2 hrs to get in.

Forgo Litchfield and drive as far as you can- maybe Katherine or Timber Creek .

Lake Argyle is lovely - but you really should do a cruise to get an idea of how massive the lake is. Its not worth going if you don't - its impressive to look at - but your views are also a bit limited from the camp ground in that you cant really see how large it is.

You must have two nights in Bungles and 2 nights ELQ to give yourself time to see at least a few of the gorges

However- I think really that you are rushing things and you will not get to really see things in a much depth, not to mention the driving will be about 2200kms at least. Some slow on the dirt and your 4wd camp van - unless new, mayb be a bit of beast to drive :}

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
17,396 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Darwin to Kununurra to Bungle Bungle in 7 days, possible?

I agree that flying over Bungle Bungles will not be as impressive as being there on the ground and doing at least a few of the most popular walks. 2 nights would be ideal. We only had one night. It was a bit rushed, but we saw what we wanted to see. On the second day, we didn't drive all the way to El Questro but stayed overnight at Warmun. We then had 2 nights at El Questro and that was enough for us.

boston, ma
Level Contributor
59 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Darwin to Kununurra to Bungle Bungle in 7 days, possible?

Oh my, I am more confused over what to do than ever, we can skip to Katherine and stay there, we've stayed a Cicada Lodge there with the Gorge so we don't need to see that, on the next day we could arrive at Lake Argyle and do the evening sunset tour? then do what?

Just for a timeline

we could arrive on the 27th at 2:05pm & drive towards Katherine

we would expect to leave at 4pm on the 4th, we just have to fill in the middle

Reply to: Darwin to Kununurra to Bungle Bungle in 7 days, possible?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kununurra
More Kununurra Topics