We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Darwin to Kununurra in 2 wheel drive

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
73 posts
3 reviews
Darwin to Kununurra in 2 wheel drive

We are travelling from Darwin to Kununurra in August/September for 9 days, including travel from Darwin to Kununurra and return. Originally we were going to hire a 4 wheel drive camper, it as we will only. E travelling around for approximately 6 days (allowing for travel time from/to Darwin) it would be a much cheaper option (by $2000) to hire a 2 wheel drive camper. Will we still be able to visit enough of the amazing sights wight a 4 wheel drive.

My husband and I are in our late 50's but quite fit, so want to lots of walks and swimming if possible.

Grenoble, France
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
92 reviews
1. Re: Darwin to Kununurra in 2 wheel drive

Focus then on Kakadu and Litchfield which have plenty 2WD accessible areas. However you won't be able to enjoy Gregory/Judbarra park to the fullest. I haven't been to Keep River or Kununurra so I don't know what's possible with a 2WD over there.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
7,097 posts
94 reviews
2. Re: Darwin to Kununurra in 2 wheel drive

Have you factored in Kakadu , Katherine into this or is this just time to and from Kunurrura?

At about 130 km driving speed, it is 10-12 hr drive each way. It is a long way and the temps will be climbing.

There is little accom between katherine and Kunurrura.

The drive there is interesting landscape.

You are limited to what you can see in 2wd. You cant get into el questro, nor any dirtt roads of the keep or gregory np

There is some pretty views at lake argyle and afew thiings around kunurrura itself, but the more worthwhile vistas are out of kunurrura in and around elqyestro, emma gorge, bungles.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
73 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Darwin to Kununurra in 2 wheel drive

Had only planned on going to Kununurra, Wyndham, Emma gorge and Keep River, have been to Katherine, Kakadu and Litchfield on previous trips.

York, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
7,350 posts
1,840 reviews
4. Re: Darwin to Kununurra in 2 wheel drive

Why not fly in and out of Kununurra instead of Darwin then?

Keep River won't be allowed in a 2wd and nor, I expect, will Emma Gorge (although it's sealed most of the way there is usually a blanket ban on 2wd going on the Gibb).

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
31,198 posts
2,027 reviews
5. Re: Darwin to Kununurra in 2 wheel drive

Hi,

My trip report may also assist you regarding Kununurra & the surrounding region.

tripadvisor.com.au/GoListDetail-i18526-Kunun…

If u want to drive the original "old" highway from Wyndham to Kununurra which is called the Parry Creek Road. (4WD only) as you have to navigate the Ivanhoe Crossing - which is definitely NOT for 2WD.

You will also need a 4WD on the Gibb river road especially crossing the Pentecost River or going into the gorges. The Pentecost River is a major river crossing on the GRR.

" The river can be 60+ metres wide and the water often flows quickly just after the end of the Wet Season . i.e. April -May. Care should be taken at high water levels due to the flow of the water exerting extreme pressure on the side of the vehicle. ""

Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
475 reviews
6. Re: Darwin to Kununurra in 2 wheel drive

Ivanhoe Crossing is closed. Emma Gorge and the rest of ELQ is fine with 2WD.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
73 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Darwin to Kununurra in 2 wheel drive

Thanks for the input, maybe I should just redo Kakadu and leave Kunumurra when we have more time.

York, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
7,350 posts
1,840 reviews
8. Re: Darwin to Kununurra in 2 wheel drive

MeMock - There is a difference between whether a 2wd can do something and whether a rental company will allow you to do it in a 2wd.

I confess I wasn't maybe as clear as I could have been in my own post - I was talking about rental companies not allowing a 2wd to be taken, not that 2wd are not allowed to go to Emma Gorge/ELQ etc in any case.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
73 posts
3 reviews
9. Re: Darwin to Kununurra in 2 wheel drive

I have checked with the rental company, and I can take the 2 wheel drive onto well maintained dirt road for a distance up to 15 kms, to get to a campsite, which is why I thought I may get away with Emma gorge, but now wondering if we are not leaving enough time to do Kununurra justice, Given that we will lose 3/4 days travelling there and back. Thanks for all the comments to date,, much appreciated

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
7,097 posts
94 reviews
10. Re: Darwin to Kununurra in 2 wheel drive

pesonally if it was me I would get a 4wd camper and be able to get into the Keep, Gregory and areas on ELQ.

You do need a 4wd on ELQ as the roads to the gorges can be rough and some will have creeks crossing.

However,,,,if you stick with the 2WD option you can still have a great trip.

I think in teh 2wd you would be ok in Emma- but why dont you check with the Information Centre in Kunurrura or Emma Gorge itself?

With 7 days itself you can fill them easily- Lake Argyle for a night

Ord cruises from Kunurrura

Wyndham on selaed road- then you can access cruises and things to do up there

Some of the Keep campsites are not too far from the main road so you can get in there- then you have the walks

Also you can do cruises on the Vic River on the way. The tImber creek stretch to Vic river is very pretty and one of my favorite drives.

Of course if you are looking for more to do, drive to the Bungles turn off - all sealed and then get a day tour in - some will comment its not ideal trip - but its a way to see the Bungles from the ground in a day .

If you choose not to do this trip, don't forget there are many other places you may not have visited on your other trip like Douglas Daly , Butterfly Gorge, Edith Falls?.. Mary River ?

Edited: 20 July 2015, 07:02
Get answers to your questions about Kununurra
More Kununurra Topics