We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Home Valley vs El Questro

Greater Adelaide...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Home Valley vs El Questro

Hi All,

Sorry to be asking so many questions, but I've read through most of the reviews but they don't seem to touch on the questions I have.

I have noticed from both their respective websites that guided tours etc are quite expensive. Although we don't mind tours etc, we also quite enjoy doing things ourselves. Camping, fishing, swimming, sight seeing, sunsets, driving etc are things we like, but can we do these things on our own, and if so, which place is better for this? Or is this impossible to answer..lol.?

Cheers

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
13,644 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Home Valley vs El Questro

I think you'll find that both of them will charge you for these activities if you do them on their property.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
30,680 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Home Valley vs El Questro

El Questro has activities like self-guided walks and drives that are free to guests. You need to scroll down this list to find them: elquestro.com.au/files/ELQWP_Activities_and_…

I assume Home Valley has similar list.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
31,116 posts
1,994 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Home Valley vs El Questro

Home Valley does have a list of tours available but I think u have to contact them via email.

hvstation.com.au/tours-and-activities/tours-…

HVS will probably charge u for certain activities. I would contact both properties & ask them to give suggestions & prices on organized tours etc.

Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
468 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Home Valley vs El Questro

Depending on the places you want to go there are many options at ELQ where you can simply head off on your own. With a million acres and just a few staff it is impossible not to!

York, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
7,349 posts
1,827 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Home Valley vs El Questro

There is a greater range of "free" activities and things to see at ELQ (although you pay for them through the permit you buy for being there).

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
6,951 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Home Valley vs El Questro

You can do all of that on ELQ easier than Home Valley. There are as somone said a list of about 15 walks, soe with gorges and rock pools to swim in. However a word of caution only swim where it is clearly marked and safe- ie ask at reception.

You can do a few self guided 4wd trips on ELq to see the sunset etc

Fishing is harder as I dont know where you are allowed to fish. You need to be VERY careful about fishing from banks of waterways due to crocodiles. Elq do have a fishing trip on the chamberlain and I think but cant remeber if you can hire a tinny and fish.

Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
3,948 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Home Valley vs El Questro

We used HV as a base and went out on our own from there - including watching a sunset, swimming in Bindoola water hole and a drive off road to Wyndham, which was great fun. We took their fishing tour and a day's riding.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
31,116 posts
1,994 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Home Valley vs El Questro

Totally agree - " a drive off road to Wyndham, which was great fun. " ..... HVS is fab for using as a base.

Greater Adelaide...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Home Valley vs El Questro

thanks guys...each web site has its list of acitvities and costs..unfortunately HV's activities link was broken so ive emailed them (but i did find this..http://hvstation.com.au/price-schedule.php)...most of the costs of the tours on both sites are a bit out of our budget, but as i said, we dont mind doing stuff on our own..incidentally, the el questro permit fee is $20 per person according to a google search...also we plan on staying on an unpowered site - we will be hiring a 4wd with tent attached

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
6,951 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Home Valley vs El Questro

Yeah- the ELQ permit is well priced I think considering the upkeep that needs to be done on the property to keep it open and in good nick. I think many people dont understand that there is a huge amount of work that needs to be redone each year to reopen roads, redo walking paths , fire breaks etc

Edited: 09 March 2015, 22:48
Get answers to your questions about Kununurra
More Kununurra Topics