We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Argyle/Kununurra/Bungle Bungles itinerary help please!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
60 posts
7 reviews
Lake Argyle/Kununurra/Bungle Bungles itinerary help please!

We are travelling to the Kununurra area from Katherine in June next year. We will be driving a 4WD but will not have a caravan or tent!

I am looking for some help in planning how long we should stay in each place and some suggestions on where we should stay please. Also any ideas on things that you would recommend to see or do would be appreciated.

I currently have us staying in the following places:

Victoria River Roadhouse (1 night stopover)

Lake Argyle Resort (2 nights)

Kununurra (4 nights - not sure if this should be 2 nights at Home Valley Station, 2 nights in Kununurra)

Bungle Bungles (2 nights - any recommendations or thoughts re staying in park vs at Ord River?)

We then move on to Fitzroy Crossing on the way to Broome.

Thanks for your help.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
31,146 posts
77 reviews
1. Re: Lake Argyle/Kununurra/Bungle Bungles itinerary help please!

I personally think that Home Valley is worth a stay. It's much smaller than El Questro but tries to offer a similar experience.

The road into Purnululu is bad and it's not the kind of track you want to commute across too often. Once in and out is enough. So you need to stay in the park somewhere if you want to spend a couple of days seeing both ends of the park - which you should do. Spend a day around the Domes/Cathedral/Piccaninny and another day at Echidna/Mini Pams. The APT Bungle Bungle wilderness camp at Bellburn Creek is excellent. There are a couple of others nearby.

Take the side road into Joe Creek picnic area on the way to Kununurra. Excellent art at the base of the escarpment.

There is a string of good motels along the highway opposite the lake in Kununurra. It's a good alternative to a safari tent. One of the best small National Parks is Mirima or Hidden Valley adjacent to Kununurra township. It's like a mini Purnululu and has a beaut walk with properly signed (very rare!) plant descriptions. Molly's Waterhole - even smaller - is excellent too.

The Fitzroy River Lodge has safari tent accommodation.

York, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
7,350 posts
1,861 reviews
2. Re: Lake Argyle/Kununurra/Bungle Bungles itinerary help please!

If you have the budget and there is the availability to stay in the Bungles for the 2 nights then that will be much better I think.

Not sure what you mean by staying at Ord River (that's a long distance away), but the alternative is to stay on the highway at the Bungle Bungle Caravan Park and drive in and out. Its a PITA road though so it would be nicer to have your full day of Bungle sightseeing without that and also you'll miss out on sunset at the Bungles.

Many people wouldn't stay in Kununurra at all, especially if planning 2 nights in Lake Argyle where you can do the Ord River cruises etc. But I think its worthwhile, although not for 4 nights so definitely spend at least 2 either at El Questro or Home Valley. I'm inclined to agree with Luigi that Home Valley is perhaps a better experience than El Questro which can feel a bit too Disneyland Kimberley with its size and crowds. There's more to do and see in the immediate area around El Questro though but you can tick the highlights off on your way through to and from Home Valley.

Be aware that getting to Home Valley requires you to cross the Pentecost River. The drive there is scenic though, arguably the most scenic section of the whole Gibb River Road.

Edited: 16 November 2016, 00:50
Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
7,207 posts
94 reviews
3. Re: Lake Argyle/Kununurra/Bungle Bungles itinerary help please!

I think Disneyland is putting the wrong slant on ELQ. It is larger and accommodates more people with a much wider range of activities which is great. I also like Home Valley as it is totally different as well but you don't get the access to all the gorges that you do on ELQ.

I wouldn't necessarily stay in Kunurrura, but would do both Home and ELQ- but then you have to skip back through Kunurrura - buts its not that far.

Its a shame that you cant stay in the Bungles and camp as its lovely. You will be forking out great$$ for the APT camp. Some people are happy with a day trip , but you have to go early. There is a camp at the turn off that has tents set up and closer than the ord camp which is several hours drive and to do in a day trip is not a great idea. There are so many walks - two days was not enough for us with commutes time in and camp set up. But I guess you could do in a day .

Book your lake argyle accom early as it fills up very fast.

Why stay at the Vic River roadhouse ? There is not much to do there. I would make the 5 hr trip from Katherine and get it over with. Its an easy drive and very scenic.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
31,274 posts
2,066 reviews
4. Re: Lake Argyle/Kununurra/Bungle Bungles itinerary help please!

Hi,

This link may also assist you regarding Kununurra

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/GoListDetail-…

I really enjoyed Home Valley Station its a great way to capture the essence of the outback . I would stay 2 night Kununurra & 2 nights Home Valley Station.This will give you time to explore the attractions around Kununurra like Lake Argyle & the Ord River. It depends on your budget regarding staying at ElQ as its not cheap.

Level Contributor
46 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Lake Argyle/Kununurra/Bungle Bungles itinerary help please!

Having just been to Home Valley and ElQuestro in September I would HIGHLY recommended ELQ. There is SO much to do around the camp ground, SO many walks and gorges and beautiful swimming holes. Home valley literally has a swimming pool and a nice pub. Nothing else.

Definitely do the sunset lake argyle cruise, may seem pricey but it was a highlight of our trip !!

Bungle bungles road in is quite harsh but you will be fine in your 4wd, however there is only bush camping in the actual park, to only way you could do the park in a day is get up VERY early to drive in and do the southern part first (cathedral gorge and bungle bungles) then drive to the northern end to do echidna chasm. It is doable in a day (we knew some people who did it.) but it's a very highlighted version of the park.

Good luck!

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
7,207 posts
94 reviews
6. Re: Lake Argyle/Kununurra/Bungle Bungles itinerary help please!

Wanderlust you can also stay at a tented camp in purnululu if you do not have tents.

Scarborough...
Level Contributor
55 posts
48 reviews
7. Re: Lake Argyle/Kununurra/Bungle Bungles itinerary help please!

Two nights at Lake Argyle would be enough and a must do is the Lake Argyle cruise. Two nights in Kununurra would enable you to have a good look around, if you have time and the finances you can fly to Argyle Diamond mine or better still do a flight to the Mitchell Falls. Home Valley or Emma Gorge would be my pick but they are taking you in the opposite direction to the Bungles. Definitely drive into the Bungles and stay overnight , although the road is rough take your time and it is manageable . Again if finances permit do the helicopter flight over the Bungles. Enjoy your trip.

8. Re: Lake Argyle/Kununurra/Bungle Bungles itinerary help please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2018, 15:18
Get answers to your questions about Kununurra
More Kununurra Topics