We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Questro

Melbourne
Level Contributor
169 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
El Questro

We are staying at the Station and Emma Gorge next June and would appreciate any comments re safe swimming i.e. crocodiles and wildlife i.e. reptiles around the resort. I'd imagine it'd be too hot during the day for some of the wildlife but how do you go walking between your accommodation and the restaurants/cafe after dark?

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
30,716 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: El Questro

There are some crocodiles in the remoter tributaries of the Pentecost that run through the area. The resort is run by an American company which became very sensitive to crocodiles after the Disneyworld attack a few months back. Pigeon Hole has been closed recently due to a crocodile. The self-drive route to Explosion Gorge is also closed for the same reason. There are croc traps in the gorges and rivers.

There are no crocodiles at Zebedee Springs. There are no crocodiles in the close swimming holes to the station. You won't be attacked walking between your camp and the station.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
169 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: El Questro

Thanks for the info. We don't plan roaming great distances around the park by ourselves and I had hoped that the rangers would sweep some of the areas for swimming. Will pack a torch also.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
6,967 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: El Questro

There are safe holes to swim in ELQ gorge. I didn't like the look of Moonshine. I think Amalia was ok too. But ELQ will tell you where is safe.

Torch is good, you never know what will be on the ground :} I only saw cattle, loads of birds, a water snake in one of the groges and some water dragons / monitors, fish etc

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
31,121 posts
2,006 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: El Questro

I certainly wouldn't swim in the rivers .... or gorges ... but that's just me. I'm sure the staff at El Quester will give you the best advice.

A torch is in excellent idea in the outback.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
169 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: El Questro

Thanks

Melbourne
Level Contributor
169 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: El Questro

Thank you. I'll bear all that in mind but we're not "adventurous " travellers and there is a pool st Emma gorge resort.

7. Re: El Questro

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2018, 21:18
Get answers to your questions about Kununurra
More Kununurra Topics