We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving on Ghan - Alice Springs. How do we get to Uluru?

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
115 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Arriving on Ghan - Alice Springs. How do we get to Uluru?

Hi Folks

We arrive in Alice Springs on the Ghan from Adelaide about 1pm on a Monday. How do we get to Uluru? Are there any flights other than Qantas (flight departs about 11 am). Other than flying - what would be the fastest way to get there? We have Sounds Of Silence dinner booked for this night - are we going to be able to make it in time or should I change it for another night? Though I would really like to do it the same evening we arrive.

If we hired a car how long should it take? Are there one way drop off fees?

Time does not permit overnighting in Alice to get the morning Qantas flight.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,633 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving on Ghan - Alice Springs. How do we get to Uluru?

The most certain way of getting there on time is via the Qantas flight - and there are no choices of airline on that leg.

It's about 450km drive and would therefore take about 4.5 hours driving. It's possible, but you'd miss out on some worthwhile sightseeing places on the way.

There are one-way fees, but they're not onerous. But you must hire from one of the companies that has an office at Uluru: Hertz, Thrifty or Avis. http://www.ayersrockresort.com.au/car-hire/

Luigi

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,858 posts
1,348 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving on Ghan - Alice Springs. How do we get to Uluru?

Hi,

The fastest way is by flying- on my timetable the flights says it departs at 1.55pm from ASP & arrives in Ayers Rock AYQ at 2.45pm. -717plane. QF1941 - same time everyday.

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
115 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving on Ghan - Alice Springs. How do we get to Uluru?

Thank you for good advice - much appreciated.

Ellemay you are correct fe Qantas flight schedule - I don't know what I was looking at... however it still won't help me as apparently the Ghan gets in at 1.45pm. Hiring a car option is underwhelming as I have discovered since posting the message that you are not insured in a hire car if you hit an animal driving after sunset. If we leave Alice Springs 2.30 - 3pm and sunset is 6.20pm, that means I would be driving uninsured for 1.5 hours. ...

If I had plenty of time would be happy to stay a night or two in Alice Springs - however have a special 3 night package at Uluru - well I did :-)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
612 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving on Ghan - Alice Springs. How do we get to Uluru?

Night driving on those roads requires EXTREME caution as I can attest from experience.

Some years ago I was booked to travel on the daily bus service from Uluru to Alice Springs via Kings Canyon. The service departs around 5.00am meaning that the first 2 hours or so is in the dark. During this time we firstly almost hit some kangaroos. Then, distracted by a female and juvenile camels in the opposite traffic lane we almost hot a bull camel immediatley in front of us. Mercifiully the camel moved in time or we would have cetainly capsized with who knows what injures. Then, suddenly and without warning a large kangroo jumped out in front of the bus. We hit it and ran right over it. The passengers felt the bump as the vehicle rode up over the animal. Several body panels were torn out of the bus sides.

All readers have now been warned.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
29,858 posts
1,348 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arriving on Ghan - Alice Springs. How do we get to Uluru?

Wow.. Less-10 thats sounds all rather gruesome !.

We have always found when driving in the outback; if you drive out of dawn or dusk times you are usually okay regarding wildlife.

Flyingstars : I would change your SOD night to the next day & stay in Alice for the night or either fly to Uluru the next day or get up early & drive. It does all come down to your own budget.

If it was me - I would just hop onto a quick 45min flight from Alice to Ayers Rock & pickup a car to go exploring...

For additional info - on Uluru.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i17672-Uluru_Ng…

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
115 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arriving on Ghan - Alice Springs. How do we get to Uluru?

Thanks for advice everyone - yes an overnight stay in Alice is now imminent.

I know all about wishing to avoid wildlife whilst driving - our address is Kangaroo Ground Road for good reason.!

I do find it extraordinary though that intending travellers aren't alerted to the sunrise / sunset clause on the car hire websites( and I do understand it is for a good reason - you just wouldn't think about it when planning a trip ) At least I found out before we arrived.

Most grateful to gentleman from Emu Run tours who warned me about not being allowed to drive before sunrise or after sunset. God bless the locals.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
29,858 posts
1,348 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arriving on Ghan - Alice Springs. How do we get to Uluru?

Enjoy Alice & Uluru !! I agree the locals are the best for getting the correct information.

W M
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arriving on Ghan - Alice Springs. How do we get to Uluru?

Hello all,

Sorry to rehash this discussion, but is there any way these days to avoid spending a night in Alice when arriving on the Ghan? We will be there in Feb 2013, have very limited time and would prefer to go straight to Uluru. The Ghan arrives in Alice at about 1:45PM, the Qantas flight from Alice to Uluru is at 1:55PM so that seems to be a no-go, and the only bus services from Alice to Uluru that I can find leave at about 1PM. It almost seems designed to force you to spend 24 hours in Alice!

Thanks in advance ~

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,633 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Arriving on Ghan - Alice Springs. How do we get to Uluru?

The shuttle busses leave Alice at about 7am, travel to Uluru and get back to Alice at about 7pm.

I think the only way to get there in the afternoon would be to drive your own rental car. It's a 4.5 to 5 hour drive. :(

10. Re: Arriving on Ghan - Alice Springs. How do we get to Uluru?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 01:17