We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 day Itinerary in 4 days?

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
98 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
7 day Itinerary in 4 days?

We're going to be coming into Darwin in June for 4 days most likely, and we're interesting in doing something like this: http://www.australiasoutback.com/~/media/Files/kakadu_and_arnhem%20land_7_days.ashx

Instead of going to waypoints 1-3, we were thinking about doing it backwards and then retreating back through the park when we got to waypoint 3 or 4 on that map, since the stuff around Adeliade river and Pine Creek museum dont really interest us much. We tend to do things a little quicker than most people, but we know certain tours and hikes take the same time no matter who you are. Could we pull off doing most of these other things listed in 4ish days? We're interested in the aboriginal art and paintings, but the way they lay these itineraries out we will probably be doing some of these things in 15 minutes instead of the hours that they talk about.

Are there any fairly easy areas to see saltwater crocs in Kakadu? I read about the Cahills crossing, but Im hoping to see something like this in it's natural habitat: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/43/SaltwaterCrocodile('Maximo').jpg

I saw the boat tours where lure the with meat on a rope, but that doesnt really interest me all that much.

Oh yeah we plan on renting a car in Darwin for the trip, I'm assuming 4wd is a good idea, but I also am curious about how heavy duty we need to go? We're competent drivers, so I dont want to end up with something huge and expensive if its just going to be fairly tame dirt roads. I also dont want to be underprepared either :)

Edited: 18 February 2014, 23:20
Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
5,253 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 day Itinerary in 4 days?

There are day tours if you feel you can see most in a day..!

However. if you self drive- get up early and on the road you can see many great parts in a minimum of two days. You wont get into Arnhem land though unless you have a permit and a high clearance vehicle and can drive through deep water full of crocodiles to get over. Its usually great "entertainment" for people to see on the news tourists and locals who have been stranded crossing this.

You simply cant see things in 15 mins- there is a reason they take longer. You need to drive and walk in to many sites, read and experience. the setting ;} To get the best of Kakadu there are many great walks with fantatstic views. Dont forget the south end of the parlk- Gunlom etc which will add 1-2 more days. You will not get into Jim Jim in anything other than a 4wd and the road may not even be open that early.

You can see crocs in the natural habitat safely doing a yellow water cruise or one on the Mary River. Sometimes on the rivers ob the way up you can see one. BUT you dont just go and hang out on the edge of a billabong or river and wait to see one as they will see you first even if you cant see them. A young boy was recently taken by a croc in Kakadu.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 day Itinerary in 4 days?

I'm not sure about the itinerary question, we spent about a week exploring that area, and I think if you aren't on a tour you may need to organize a pass to be allowed into Arnhem Land (this was the case anyway when we did it many years ago).

As for the crocs, these are not something you want to stumble across in the wild. They are nothing like North American alligators, they are aggressive, territorial, and pretty bloody fast once they get moving. They will attack if you wander into their territory. It is safest to see them from a boat tour where you are in a boat with cage protection. You will still see them lying around on the mudflats in their natural environment, but from the safety of a boat and an experienced guide.

Alice Springs...
Destination Expert
for Alice Springs, Kings Canyon, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Red Centre
Level Contributor
599 posts
1,950 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 day Itinerary in 4 days?

One of the best places we have seen the most abundant crocs other than the jumping croc cruise was

the yellow waters sunset cruise from Cooinda, and one of our favourite.

More details at:

www.gagudju-dreaming.com/Cruises.aspx…

The sunset cruise had the most crocodile views in their natural environment.

4. Re: 7 day Itinerary in 4 days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2015, 05:20